is there any shortcut to increasing site traffic?

ted_chou12

i dont know, but why does a site that I had on geocities get listed in google very quickly after i setup the webpages, but I dont seem to get the same effect for my own site that i built completely out of scratch? I checked my geocities page,and it doesnt even have meta keywords adn descriptions and things like those, however, I specially included them in my current site.

Ted

Meta keywords and descriptions aren't as useful as you might think. The search engines are getting more intelligent every day, and base their rankings on content and reputation. In Google's case, they determine how reputable a website is by the number of links to it that their crawlers discover on other sites. If your site is linked to by thousands of other websites, that indicates that the site has some valuable stuff in it.

SEO is a tricky bugger - google for "search engine optimization", and I'm sure you'll find a few tips and tricks to boost your rankings.

You may want to check out <a href="http://www.microformats.org">micro formats</a>.  Espeicially using the rel attribute for links.  The way your site links to others and others to you effects your ranking.

Also, look at your mark-up from the perspective of a machine.  If it is easy for a machine to read then relevant content will be noticed which will increase your ranking.

haha,  :D, my site is on google already!!! :'(<< I am so glad...

btw, despite of the good news, i have only one page in its database, and it is not the main page, but the user login page, i dont quite understand, why is that, anyone care to explain please?

Thanks

Ted

haha,  :D, my site is on google already!!! :'(<< I am so glad...

btw, despite of the good news, i have only one page in its database, and it is not the main page, but the user login page, i dont quite understand, why is that, anyone care to explain please?

Thanks

Ted

Do you have a link to that page from another web site?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.