Newbie Question

netcoord99

Hi everyone.

I started learning PHP and MySql on my Windows XP home computer and a member here

recommended that if I wanted to work in this field, that I learn on Linux.

I also noticed most of the hosts out there are on Linux machines.

How do you all feel about this? Which version of these are the most commonly used?

Also, does anyone know where some good instructions are for making my system dual boot

and is that the way to go so I don't have to come up with a 2nd connection to the internet?

Any help you can provide on getting me going in the right direction would be appreciated.

thanks..

Mike

Its just a matter of opininion really. While alot of hosts use Linux servers it probably not an emediate requirement for you to learn or use Linux. If you want to learn PHP you might be best to just stick to windows first. Linux itself will take up alot of your time.

Of course on the other hand, (and this is just my opinion) Linux is a far superior operating system.

Also, does anyone know where some good instructions are for making my system dual boot

and is that the way to go so I don't have to come up with a 2nd connection to the internet?

Most distro's will come with a set of instructions for dual booting, in fact some of the easier distros (Ubuntu, Debian, SUSE, Fedora) will set this up automatically for you. This has nothing to do with needing two internet connections.

• 1 month later...

Unless you are intending to do host-specifc tasks, it raily matters which os you on.  eg, if all your are doing is web design, then lurning linux is possibly to time consuming to be nesseser.  On magior advantage of using linux however would be the use of cron.

Fully agree with thorpe.  far supirior! and if you have time then go for it!  As a linux newbie i would recomend centOS as its free and yum makes your life easy!  Very much a prefrance though.  All have loads of support out the so just pick one you like the sound of and dig in!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i have worked with pretty much solely with windows.  php and mysql operate the same under windows and linux.  you dont need to learn to use linux in order to do these things.  as has been said previously, linux will take up A LOT of your time.  it is completely different than windows. 

i have also used a number of linux distros and liked them a lot.  they are a lot more stable than windows...(especially vista, BLECH!) the problem that i have seen is that there is a steep learning curve with linux if all that you have used is windows.  We get into our microsoft rut, and then we try to change and it is a completely different animal...(i am used to working in dos also, and still got confused.)

you only need to think about learning linux if you plan to start hosting your own pages, or other peoples pages...

but, windows runs apache, IIS, php and mysql...so you still dont really need to know linux. (again, in my experience, linux is a more stable and secure os...you just dont NEED to know it.)

there are features that are specific to linux, but again not necessarily needed.

as has been said it is mostly a matter of preference.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.