Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cojawfee

Finding a a carriage return in user entered text

I'm currently in the process of refining a comment system I wrote, and I am including autoformatting and a BBcode like system.

The only problem I am having is with preserving user created carriage returns. If you look at the source for this page and search for "The only problem" you will see that there are two "<br />" tags bewteen it and the previous paragraph. I was thinking about using str_replace() for this, but can you use the escape character for a carriage return to search for a carriage return that doesn't use the escape?

If you are confused by the previous sentence, let me clear it up. When someone press enter twice (to create a new paragraph) I want to replace that with two "<br>" tags when it is displayed.

There is obviously a way to do this, I would just like to know how.

Look at the function [a href=\"http://www.php.net/nl2br\" target=\"_blank\"]nl2br[/a](). This function will add a '<br />' before each "\n" in the text. Use it when you send the text to the screen.

Ken

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.