[SOLVED] What is this exactly?

chronister

I apologize in advance because this is not a PHP specific question, but I could not see where to post it at... and since all the folks in this board are so awesome I figured someone would probably know.

what is www3.website.com or www2.website.com

I have seen 1,2,3,4 & 5 come right after the www and cannot figure out what that is. (google was no help *sigh*)

I will name my firstborn child after the person who can answer this for me

(j/k about the naming part... already named all 3 of my kids...sorry)

The key to the location of a site on the Internet is a 12-digit number, known as an IP (Internet Protocol) address. In turn, through special nodes on the wider network called DNSes (Domain Name Servers), these IP Addresses are linked to names, known collectively as URLs (uniform resource locators), which also have a specific format. It’s important to note that within wide boundaries, those names can be anything you like. When you see one that says “www.sitename.domainname,” it can also say “www2.sitename.domainname,” or “www3.sitename.domainname,” or adopt an even more common form and drop the “www” portion of the name altogether. In short, www, www2, www3, etc., do not indicate different World Wide Webs.

@papaface - No Sh*$, thats why I apologized for posting here in the first line. If your gonna take the time to respond, make it worthwhile and not just pointing out what I stated in the first line of my post :)

@oop - Thanks for the in depth explanation. However as an A+ & Network+ Certified (big deal right..)computer technician for H&R Block, I am familiar with IP's, DNS, URL's and such. I just did not know exactly what the additional number after the www meant. But I do thank you for your input.

@orio - Thank you for the simple straightforward answer.

I assume that this kind of thing would be set up in the v-host.conf file? (for apache anyway)

I am not an expert at the v-host.conf file, but I have picked up on how I can set the server to respond to any name I want. e.g. I could set up a local site on my machine to respond to www.google.com (after an addition to the hosts file I imagine), so I would assume I could set the server to respond to www788.mysite.com or even ww45w.mysite.com etc.

Am I off base here or is this a correct assumption.

Nate

@papaface - No Sh*$, thats why I apologized for posting here in the first line. If your gonna take the time to respond, make it worthwhile and not just pointing out what I stated in the first line of my post

Just because you point it out does NOT make it okay. I don't know where you got the idea that it is from.

Posting in the correct forums ensures that this forum is kept clean.

If you couldnt find a forum suitable enough didnt you see the "Miscellaneous" catagory?

Also there was no need for such a aggressive comment.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.