Is it necessary to have a team for large projects?

LanceT

For developing a large project, say a forum software, is it necessary to have a team of PHP programmers or is it easier with just one person? I'm thinking that with several people, it makes it hard to coordinate the software unless they work together the whole time, while with a single person it will obviously take more time.

What do you think?

Of course this all depends on the size of the project you are working on. If you have multiple coders there should be at least one person that knows how to work every aspect of the project. However I am not a huge fan of single person projects.

... with a single person it will obviously take more time.

Actually it takes less time (creative time) because you don't need progress meetings with yourself; you don't need to file progress reports; you don't have 'creative' discussions that go on interminably; and you don't have to referee fights between people with opposing viewpoints.

Worth repeating from a software seminar speaker I heard may years ago:

"Remember than one man-year of effort is not the same as 730 people working until lunchtime".

... with a single person it will obviously take more time.

Actually it takes less time (creative time) because you don't need progress meetings with yourself; you don't need to file progress reports; you don't have 'creative' discussions that go on interminably; and you don't have to referee fights between people with opposing viewpoints.

Worth repeating from a software seminar speaker I heard may years ago:

"Remember than one man-year of effort is not the same as 730 people working until lunchtime".

True this is what I thought as well, but then I see that most large PHP softwares have a large team of developers, so I wonder if this is because its impossible to do without.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.