[SOLVED] Black list

Azu

You know how normally when you define the elements that CSS applies to, it is white list based, where you have to list all of the ones you want it to effect? Like a,b,c,d,e{css:stuff;}?

How can I make it blacklist based, so that I put in !f{css:stuff;} and it will apply to all elements except f? I really need this for cutting down on my CSS size please ^^

And also, my CSS file is generated by PHP, some of it is changed to match the browser the person is using.

But each browser should only need to download it once.

So how can I make it so that it is only downloaded once?

I tried

header("Cache-Control: public");

header("Expires: ".gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s',time()+99999999)." GMT");

But it didn't work. The whole thing is still downloaded on every page view.

And is there a way that I can replace </td><td> with a single character, preferably some high ASCII one that isn't normally used?

In short, you can't create that sort of black list. If you get a full grasp on the concept of the cascading, though, you can almost always come up with better ways of combining parent elements into fewer calls. Also, if you have some overarching things you want to apply to everything up front so you can create your exception elements afterward, you could use the '*' wildcard declaration. This is closer to what you're after, but still not a true black list.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.