Managing topics better

It seems that PHPFreaks has got incredibly popular in the last months. It's good but now when I do a topic or reply to a topic that hasn't been resolved for help it plumits 2 or 3 pages back in nearly 45 minutes.

I don't seem to get replies and I'm defiantly aware that there are plenty of users capable of solving them, just they are never seen as no one seems to glance past the first page, although I've tried bumping, I hate doing it and feel like it's a rude spamming way of getting an answer.

Is there anyway to maybe split up the "PHP Help" section, or maybe increase the topics per a page? How about when a Topic is resolved, it gets moved to an "Archive" section, so it frees up a few spaces.

Thanks.  :)

Is there anyway to maybe split up the "PHP Help" section... How about when a Topic is resolved, it gets moved to an "Archive" section, so it frees up a few spaces.

Those are actually not bad ideas. We'll see what the admins have to say about this.

Well.... I see good and bad about the options:

1) Moving threads to a different section means people would have to search in a different board for answers.  This would also reduce the thread count in that board, which actually means something to people that are looking for help.  Plus, moving the thread would stop people from using the solved feature since they'd have to go searching if they later realized the thread wasn't solved.

2) Increasing the page count might help, but would also increase loading times/traffic per page.  Although the increase would nearly be negligable and I think we should probably consider this idea.

I have no problem with people bumping a valid post after it leaves the first page with no responses.  You're free to do it.  Also, if you're not getting responses, it's possible that no one knows how to answer the question.

Keep in mind we have boards that are more specific (OOP, App Design, Databases, etc).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.