MySQL PHP Question

gazalec

Hi i was wondering i am using a while loop to extract selected data from a MySQL database with PHP but i was wondering if there was anyway to assign these values to their own separate variable names as they came off? i want it so that each value that is extracted is assigned to its own variable because i want to use them separately later

Thanks for Any Help

In an array you can address the elements individually..i.e. $array_name['element_name'].  In the mysql object you can only address them in a linear fashion...i.e. through a while loop.

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
  $data[$row['id'] = $row;
}

You can then address the items by their id...

echo $data[1]['username'];

Or if you use the username as the key...

while ($row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result)) {
  $data[$row['username'] = $row;
}

echo $data['gazalec']['post_count'];

I dont think this is working for what i need, ok i'll explain the whole situation to see if it clears it up, on my database i have a table with cust_no, no_of_products, order_date, what i want is that you type in a cust_no it picks up all the orders they had i.e. order_date, products ordered on that date, then i want them to be separated into individual variables i.e., order_date1 = '2007-04-04' no_of_products1 = '700', order_date2 = '2007-03-29' no_of_products2 = '500' etc. for all their orders, is this even possible ???

Thanks so much for the help so far

The only situation I can think where it would be preferable to to do it like that, rather than use an array, is if you are charging per line of code

<?php
foreach ($order_dates as $date) echo "$date<br>";
?>

Fee : £1.00

Contrast with

<?php
echo "$order_date_1<br>";
echo "$order_date_2<br>";
echo "$order_date_3<br>";
echo "$order_date_4<br>";
echo "$order_date_5<br>";
echo "$order_date_6<br>";
echo "$order_date_7<br>";
echo "$order_date_8<br>";
echo "$order_date_9<br>";
echo "$order_date_10<br>";
echo "$order_date_11<br>";
echo "$order_date_12<br>";
echo "$order_date_13<br>";
echo "$order_date_14<br>";
echo "$order_date_15<br>";
echo "$order_date_16<br>";
echo "$order_date_17<br>";
echo "$order_date_18<br>";
echo "$order_date_19<br>";
echo "$order_date_20<br>";
?>

Fee : £20.00

well the thing is i need each order date and each no_of_products separately because i'm making a bar graph in php, so that a cell is giving id's and if it is in the  'order_date' column and is the value of the 'no_of_products' it makes its background black and if it isn't its white to do a kind of line graph thing, i'm experimenting. so i hope that clears things up

Sorry bout the double post

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.