Review Site - Nearly Done

richie19rich77

Hi Everyone,

Nearly finished the frontend of my Table Tennis site, using php and javascript. I did think about the problems posted before regarding the use of javascript, but I have got carried away and will deal with the problem is users moan.

http://richardfarthing.org (If it does not come up, just re-enter into url again)

Old site I want to replace is www.mtttl.co.uk, but I have to present it to the executive committee and see if they want to change.

Need to look at the layout in different browsers, have designed it using IE7.  This is my first go at building a website, so a complete noob. Any coments regarding layout would be welcome.

Thanks

Rich

Difficult to comment on layout without seeing how it looks with something approximating content (lorem ipsum, anyone?).  I found the links that go bold on hover irritating, but not as much as the spelling of officers :)

Having looked at the 'old' site, I'd suspect the fix would be in with the exec committee if they didn't choose to proceed to your alternative.

well. just as i thought when i first mentioned it - I turned of javascript to be stubborn (like many people still do) and guess what? I couldn't view a single page - it effectively killed every single one of your links.

So i'll say it again - the site's looking much better these days - but the pointless use of AJAX just for "using AJAX" sake is not a wise move. Search engines are NOT going to index all of the content on your site, the back button on the browser gets broken, as does the refresh button. Personally I'd change them to static pages as it's just pointless. If you really are adament that the AJAX requests are staying put, then at least modify your links to provide an alternative for non-JS users. Something like:

<a href="/index.htm" onclick="loadIndexPage(); return false;">Home Page</a>

which, with the use of "return false", follows the link if javascript can't be run but calls your JS if it can.

well. just as i thought when i first mentioned it - I turned of javascript to be stubborn (like many people still do) and guess what? I couldn't view a single page - it effectively killed every single one of your links.

So that explains why I see zero content and none of the links do anything.  Since I viewed the site on a brand new computer (Win XP Media Center- software basically 'as delivered' ) I may not be the only person on the planet who sees empty pages. Hmm, another triumph of technology as Ajax trumps humans.

I will add screenshots on enabling Javascript if not enabled. (Add to my Todo list)

I have also split the css into two parts FireFox and IE7 (Will look at IE6 later), and now it looks the same across both browsers.  I hate Firefox everything just looks grainy.

Thanks again.

FireFox is a "real" browser. IE is crap. It is full of security holes and doesn't pay attention to basic web standards. To be honest you should design your site in FF or opera first and then work it into IE. Very rarely will you have something that looks good in FF but don't in IE . On the other hand you can have something that looks ok in IE that is a complete mess in FF.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.