php+microsoft sql opinion

jakebur01

hello,

I use php with my mysql database a lot. I just had something come up where I need to access data from a microsoft sql database. Are there many problems with connecting php with a microsoft sql database? Would I be better off to use something like visual basic with asp?

`Jake

Can you do just as much with php as you can with visual basic and asp?

The reason i'm asking is, I have a client who has a big eccomerce site that was built by some programming company. The website was built with asp and visual basic.

The my client wants me to build a storefront type website for his dealers that may be integrated with my clients eccomerce website. The website along with several executable programs are pulling information from a microsoft sql server.

I have only created small applications with visual basic transfering data in and out of a mysql database. I have never really looked at asp before. I'm on a role learning php, I don't want to get off track. I don't want to waste my time learning asp and visual basic if I can do everything that I need to with php. What would be the best thing for me to do in this situation?

From my experience they are both compare with each other. PHP/mySQL's space is really Linux based servers, and ASP/MSSQL solutions are more for Windows server, although you can put them on either (php will run on windows, and vice versa). It all comes down I think to what you are more comfortable with, and what you are allowed to use (in the case of a company - php/mysql is free, where MSSql server is fairly pricey).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.