Some help for somone who knows what they're doing PLEASE !

williaj

Hi, I have created quite a basis website for a small business hiring satellite navigational equipment.  It's served it purpose until now (don't worry, nothing pinched, I used a free template) but I need to upgrade the site to something like MySQL / PHP but I am not sure which way to turn.

I need the site to handle product availability (quick quotes) and online payments but I am not sure if this facility could be built into the exiting website (trying to save some cash!).  I have also been given a quote of £2,000 to start from scratch and have someone do this for me (seems rather expensive). 

The site - www.cheapsatnavhire.co.uk

I suppose the question is, could the exisiting website be updated in its current format to handle the quick quotes / onlline payments ?  If so, could someone point me in the right direction ?

Any help or advice very much appreciated.

...but I am not sure which way to turn.

maybe you could do with a Satnav ? ;D

the answer really depends on your setup as it stands, and how well it's written as it is. as i notice signs for paypal on their already, it'd be worth reading through their development site. it's a bit confusing to begin with but the actual volume of code to handle payments is generally not excessive and not massively hard to integrate.

Like i say though - it depends on what the state of it is at the moment and the specifics of what you have already/need. If you don't know what you're doing with respect to PHP/MySQL, then outsourcing it maybe the best option.

Guest prozente

This is slightly off topic but.. it looks like you're on shared hosting, if you're going to be taking others personal information you will want to either check to make sure the sites are secured from one another(most times this isn't the case due to the lack of knowledge of some hosts) or the other option is to get a dedicated server. I also see you don't have HTTPS, you'll want to get yourself a SSL certificate and get HTTPS enabled so the data transmitted is encrypted.

• 2 weeks later...

the comments above about shared hosting and SSL are VERY important points.  That being said, since the basic site structure is already there, i would think it would much less expensive to change the cart system.  I am not sure of the specific rules about posting personal advertisements here, but i would be happy to discuss this project wiht you personally if you email me, or you could look up freelancer websites and find a freelancer who is highly rated.  I am certain that this could be done for less than the price you were given...

Being that your site is already up and you have Google PR 3, I would not go about starting from scratch!

If you start from scratch you have to do a proper 301 redirect on all your page or you will lose your PR, also you may get penalized for duplicate content if not done the right way!

I would integrate a shopping cart on your present site! You maybe able to get a free shopping cart from your current host provider! PayPal offers a free shopping cart!

You do need an SSL to collect personal information! Many hosting companies offer a shared SSL or you can ask your hosting company to give you static ip and install your own SSL after you have purchased it!

So no need to do to spend 2,000 pounds you can probably get everything done for a few hundred pounds!

PHP/MySql is good when you have a lot of data to manipulate and many pages!

You can look at my website www.travelconnecxion.com to see how PHP is used from scratch! It gives you a lot of freedom and power over your content integration!

Use IE for optimal viewing!

For a simple PHP website go with a content management software!

Take a look at Cpanel hosting for a free shopping cart and content management software!

You will get Mambo and Php Nuke CMS and Cube cart, OS commerce and Zen shopping carts!

But to manage this software is time consuming and labor intense!

Get a free lance developer to install a shopping cart on your existing Website!

Cheap and easy!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.