Degrading gracefully

KevinM1

Months ago, I put one of my websites up for critique here (it's at http://www.francoamericancentrenh.com).  The criticism I remember the most was 448191's rather blunt response to my "Please have JavaScript enabled" comment, which was along the lines of "I have JavaScript disabled, how is your navigation going to work?"

Now, I know I can make flyout menus using pure CSS -- I've found a few on cssplay, but haven't put them in yet.  That's not the point of this message, though.

What I'm curious about is how to make sites that seem to require JavaScript, for whatever reason, function adequately if JavaScript isn't available.  Is this even a concern with modern browsers and increasingly savvy users?  Are there any design conventions to follow if you can forsee where not having JavaScript could be a problem?  Any standard procedures to follow in those cases?

For what it is worth and I know that I have not answered all your questions but I have used:-

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>

<title>Javascript Check Failed</title>

<style>

<!--

.normalcopy { font-family: Verdana, Arial; font-size: 11px; color: Black; }

.bottomlinks { color: #666666; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-weight: normal; text-decoration: none; }

-->

</style>

</head>

<body bgcolor="#ffffff">

<center>

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="748">

<tr>

<td align="left" valign="top" height="73" class="normalcopy">

<p align="center"><strong>You do not have Javascript enabled in your browser</p>

<p align="center"><strong>This system requires Javascript and without it, it will not work.<br />

Call your IT department if you need help enabling Javascript in your browser.</strong></p>

</td></tr>

</table>

</center>

</body>

</html>

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.