Problem with user authentication. . .

ryan.od

Can anyone help me with this? When I try to run my login script I get the following error. . .

Unable to perform product query. Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '@yahoo.com' at line 1

I think it has trouble handling the @ symbol, but I'm not sure. Perhaps this is a common issue many have had before? Here is the code:

<?php
$path = "/home/tablashi/public_html/";
set_include_path(get_include_path() . PATH_SEPARATOR . $path);

include("$path" . "db/db_connect.php");
include("$path" . "db/db_select.php");	
include("$path" . "login/login_funcs.php");

$users_email = $_POST[email];
$users_password = $_POST[password];

$encrypted = user_password($users_password, $users_email);

$sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE users_email = $users_email AND users_password = $encrypted"; 
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die('<p>Unable to perform user query. Error: ' . mysql_error() . '</p>');

if($sql){
	session_start();
}
else{
	echo("nope");
}
?>

I'm not inlcuding the login function that handles the salt and the encryption. I don't think there is any problem there.

Thanks.

RyanOD

For starters, you allready set your include path so your includes only need....

include "db/db_connect.php";
include "db/db_select.php";	
include "login/login_funcs.php";

Next, your query is incorrect. Try...

$sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE users_email = '$users_email' AND users_password = '$encrypted'";

<?php
$sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE users_email = '$users_email' AND users_password = '$encrypted';"; 

It helps to follow proper SQL syntax, any type of text going into sql should have single quotes around it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.