strtotime problem

Hello Mates!

I am having a problem getting consistent results with strtotime().  I am taking user input from a text box, and converting it into a timestamp in GMT.  Here is the code (I'm using PHP 4.4.4):

putenv("TZ=utc");
$timestamp = strtotime($_POST['when']);
echo "TIME IS: " . gmdate("l F j, Y \a\\t g:i A", $timestamp);

Right now it's 8am MST (GMT - 6 hours)

Whenever the time given is absolute, like "8am" the result is "TIME IS: Tuesday May 15, 2007 at 8:00 AM".

But when the time is something relative, like "now" the result is "TIME IS: Tuesday May 15, 2007 at 2:00 PM".

My problem is that I have an offset for all my users (e.g. -7 hours), I don't have their specific time zone.  So if I just add an offset, it won't be accurate when they say something like "8am".

Is there a way I can get accurate results for users in all time offsets, and all formats?

Thanks for your help!

Why not just something like this to e.g. display their current time (based on a setting they have set containing the offset to GMT)?

<?php
$timezone = 1; // GMT +/-

echo "TIME IS: ".gmdate('l F j, Y \a\\t g:i A', time()-3600*$timezone);
?>

Ah.

Okay. Let's say I supply this line: 17:25

That is in GMT+1. In my settings on your system I set the timezone to be that (meaning that $timezone in the below example holds int 1).

<?php
//...
$time_gmt = strtotime($_POST['when'])-3600*$timezone;
//...
?>

Yes but this only works when they enter something like: "now", or "tomorrow".

If they enter something "8am" it doesn't work.

My guess why this is happening is that strtotime uses the timezone, only when it has a specific time.

Could it be that I'm not using the right value for UTC?

putenv("TZ=UTC");

Maybe this is incorrect and it is still using my default timezone?

Thanks again!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.