html emails

marmite

hi,

i'm doing my first html email and wanted some tips.

in particular, it seems the easiest thing is to create a webpage, and then send the webpage itself... is that right?

question two - what do i do for sizing? the information i've read says to use tables and make them 98% wide... but i wanted a border of images around the edge of the email, which seems to require me to set widths for the images. See http://www.emmasaunders.com/email.html to see what i mean. That's with no width or height set. When i send that as an email you have to scroll.

Is there some way of setting a percentage of available screen space, that can be read by all the various email clients?

That would be neat.

Thanks for your help

Emma

what you have to do is make it work in as many clients as poss...

I would advise that you go for a width of about 550px wide and use the horrible old table layout. Don't put any style attributes for background images - use teh backgroundimage attribute for the td instead.

HTML email support is not very good so you hav to go for the lowest common denominator.

Thanks for this. Is there ANY WAY at all of getting the images to show in the email without the person having to click "download images" ?

I guess I'd have to embed them in the email somehow...?

I just received an email with inline images which did not require downloading, so I'm sure it's possible...

It's important for me because the images are the thing I'm trying to communicate - it's the whole point of the product.

Thanks for any help

Emma

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.