Eclipse Editor w/PHP Plugin

Recently I downloaded the Eclipse editor with the PHP plugin, so far it is the tightest editor I have ever seen for PHP. It even tops notepad++.

Just curious as to what every one else thinks about it, if you have not tried it I would highly suggest giving it ago, it kicks ass!!!!

Anyhow, yea I plan on switching back to unix and this is an editor that works both ways, so any enlightenment on the Unix/Linux side would be awesome. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I recently saw the link to eclipse in your signature in another thread and it prompted me to download and try it since I've also been looking for a good editor to use.  I've had small segments of time to look at it here and there but not a lot of time to really dig into it.

So far what I love about it is the ability to create projects dependent on each other.  I like to think of a website I'm working on as an entire project, but it would be nice to divide it into sub-projects based on functionality of the files contained within and to even have the same file be present in multiple projects.  Most editors I've seen don't provide that, or they provide it in a clumsy manner.

I would love the auto-completion except for one thing, which I've posted about here:

http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,149353.0.html

What really excites me about eclipse is the potential to find plug-ins for the other types of files I need to work with, such as Javascript, CSS, SQL, etc.

I use it almost exclusively, for all projects both personal and work related.

It's actually my IDE of choice, independent of language. From JAVA, Python, Ruby, PHP, C++.. WebServices, you name it.. Eclipse can do it.

I like the fact that it does support all of these languages, as it makes hooking projects together very easy.

The only downside is for people with crappy computers, since Eclipse is a bit of a system resource hog.

Frost, it's a dream editor on Linux. Here's a link of how it looks: http://nick.stinemates.org/eclipse.png

If you have any questions let me know! :)

• 1 month later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.