Secure Login

gazalec

Hi i was just wondering what is the best way to do a secure login? because i have been using PHP sessions but i recently found out these are quite unsafe, even after people telling me they are quite secure. I was just wondering if anyone has a truely secure login, as with sessions, session spoofing is quite easy to do and also all session data is store in the tmp folder for anyone to read.

Thanks for any help

while session cookie(big long string of letters and numbers) is stored on the computer... and if you temp folder on host isnt secure... session data is seeable... however... just dont store secure stuff there... unset($_SESSION[user][password],$_SESSION[user][creditcardnum]); etc...

if you use a secure socket layer and validate the username and password - make sure they don't have any sql injection etc then that is as secure as you can get.

Sessions are for maintaining state of the login between requests. A client side cookie transmits all the data in the cookie with each request - which others may intercept.

Sessions store an id to a client side cookie and the rest of the info is maintained on the server. Values can only be created or altered on the server so the only thing someone can do is replicate on their own machine and appear as another on teh site.  Provided that you request a password for anything like updating a profile OR keep the original email address of the user for ever then you should be fine.

well what i have is when they login successfully their customer number then becomes their session id, and each page is displayed according to that for instance the previous order's page is always the same page it just depends what the session id is to what information is extracted from the database, so if someone was to spoof or see and use this information that means the customers previous orders would be on show.

I was just wondering if i saved these sessions to a different folder, wouldn't someone still be able to create a form on their computer, assign their input a session id of, lets say $_SESSION['cust_no'], would they be able to access some of the website they shouldn't be able to or, is the session id they assign saved on their computer which my website wouldn't be able to read?

Can i just ask when a session is created how is it the web site reads it, is it through the tmp folder on the server, so that then if someone creates a session on their local machine the server wont be reading that it will be reading the tmp folder on the server?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.