My media gallery... a work in progress...

cgm225

I think it's pretty good... the only thing I'd suggest is adding more functionality options.

1) Ability to show more than 6 per page.

2) Ability to do next/previous without clicking the page number (show next/previous links/buttons).

3) Open "zoomed in" view in new window or use a flashier way to view the larger images.

4) Use preview images on the "category" page.

5) Make the "currrent page" more obvious.

It's pretty good... just needs some sprucing up!

@ober - Thanks again for the feedback.  I have implemented features to address your #2 and #5 points, and will continue to work to add the additional features you mentioned. 

However, I had a general question for you (or anyone in the community) with regard to your #3 point.  How do you deal with presenting large photos in general.. I mean ones that do not lend themselves well to being put within a website wrapper?  What do you mean by "'zoomed in' view?"  Do you have any examples?

Thanks again!

cgm225

I like this type of implementation, personally: http://www.huddletogether.com/projects/lightbox/

By "zoomed in"... I'm assuming that the image you're showing in the gallery isn't full-size. If you click on it to get a "closer" view, you should show the image in it's full size.

Post again when you get more of the stuff implemented. Good job implementing the current stuff. One thing you might want to think about is limiting the number of pages you show for selection. So if you have 40 pages in an album, you only see 2-3 pages on either side of the page you're on. Example:

1 2 3 > >>

<< < 5 6 7 8 9 > >>

I'd use single and double arrows to "jump to next" and "jump to beginning/end".

EDIT: you'd probably want to use small gifs for those instead of the actual > character.

@ober - I have modified my pagination to reflect some of the behavior you outlined in your last post*.  Also, I have changed the script to add the functionality you suggested in #1,2, and 5.

Some follow-up questions I had.. Currently, my gallery does not crop pictures for thumbnails, but resizes them, so that lightbox script does not exactly fit my needs.  My earlier question was more asking how you deal with providing the largest picture size in a gallery when it does really fix the dimensions of the webpage? 

Also, I have not forgotten about your fourth initial suggestion (to "Use preview images on the 'category' page"), but am still researching some things before I implement that (like, how best to generate rounded thumbnails with imagemagick, etc.).

Thanks again for your feedback!  Please let me know how you feel about the modifications I have made, and any other improvements I can make.  However, with that being said, I do what to keep the gallery/overall site very simple/minimalistic.

cgm225

*I chose to use "<<" and ">>" to move from the front and back of the gallery, respectively, but kept the "Previous" and "Next" links (instead of "<" and ">") because I think they are more obvious and usable.  In general, I don't think regular people use the "<<" and ">>" functionality all often often.

Excellent work :)  Can I make another suggestion?  Increase the number you can show per page.  On a fast connection, it's reasonable to assume that I'll want to view 25-50 per page... or hell, maybe even all the images.  Because by the time I look through the first few, the rest will be loaded.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.