Shell Script C, WHY ?

nadeemshafi9

Hello guys

Im looking for work, i have noticed that alot of companies are saying they need shell scripting on ocasions. I know that shel script is used to batch commands, but what is the proper reason they would be using it for, does any one have a definative answer, so i can learn it for teh perpose.

Thhanks

Nadeem

Shell scripting can be used for a lot of things, but nothing too complex since it isn't a full-featured language. It's handy for working quickly and closely with the OS, which is probably some flavor of Unix, but it could also be a Mac.

Yeah... shell scripts are usually used for automating comman tasks, backups, parsing log files, general system admin as well as system startup scripts. They can get pretty out of hand however when more complex problems need to be solved.

Most *nix positions would require you to be pretty well versed in sh or bash at minimum, you'd probably also need to be proficient in one of the more powerfull scripting languages like Perl or Python for those more complex tasks.

ok thanks very much for the info im brushing up on my PERL i just installed slackware as i find it easier to work with, i had fedora core 4 and it gave me problems when installing phpmyadmin it said it needed the functions for mysql and php in the php direcory, it had a rpm of PHP and they were all in the wrong ploace i dont know what the new fedora 7 is like thogh ?

Thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.