[SOLVED] Store PHP code in a table

cherni99

Hi there,

I have been trying to store a snippet of PHP code in a table and failing! I have tried every technique suggested before posting this and I feel completely deflated. A great idea for what I need to do with it but now it has been a complete waste of time. Any help would be much appreciated!

Here is just a very small piece of the the code I am trying to store...

require("../includes/cn.php");$title = mysql_escape_string($HTTP_POST_VARS['title']);$first_name = mysql_escape_string($HTTP_POST_VARS['first_name']);$middle_name = mysql_escape_string($HTTP_POST_VARS['middle_name']);$surname = mysql_escape_string($HTTP_POST_VARS['surname']);

It is in one continous line so it is easier to manage when inserting but any method I have used have been unsuccessful. One if the errors is below...

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or `T_VARIABLE' or `T_NUM_STRING'

to name but one. I have used htmlentities, mysql_escape_string, str_replace, htmlspecialchars and stripslashes all in different sequences but none work. It seems to fail when a double quote and single quote are in the same string.... >:(

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

you can store just about anything in a string but you have to put    \      before any special character, something like:

$string="mysql_escape_string(\$HTTP_POST_VARS[\'title\'])";

this may seem odd but it escapes any type of character and stores it as string....

not sure if this is what you need but hope it'll help

Hi there epic_era thanks for replying!

Ah..I didnt realise that $ needed to be escaped!! OK - this is starting to make more sense. So I have to do a mysql_escape_string on the string then insert. Regardless if mysql_escape_string is in the string already.

Again, thanks a mil for your time!!

hey epic_era,

sorry about this but I tried your suggestion

$string1 = mysql_escape_string("$title = mysql_escape_string($HTTP_POST_VARS['title']);");

echo $string1;

and I am getting this error...

Parse error: parse error, expecting `T_STRING' or `T_VARIABLE' or `T_NUM_STRING'

Am I missing something obvious here ??? ???

Thanks!!

Thanks for that. That worked fine but I need to dynamically place the \ before the $. I have tried str_replace and I have recieved the same error as below...

code used...

$string1 = str_replace("$","\$","$title = mysql_escape_string($HTTP_POST_VARS['title']);");

$atring2 = mysql_escape_string($string1);

echo $string2;

Any more ideas?

P.S. With regard to $HTTP_POST_VARS I do know that but I am working with code I did not develop

Easier to use single quotes then. eg;

$string1 = mysql_escape_string('$title = mysql_escape_string($HTTP_POST_VARS[\'title\']);');

This way you don't have to worry about escaping special chars at all (excepting single quotes obviously).

hi thorpe, thanks for replying. Maybe I am not explaining myself too good. I have a string that will contain $, ', " and pretty much anything else. I will need to escape all these characters before the insert. Now what will or can I incapsulate the string in so I can escape these or what order can I start the str_replace or equivalent function to stop getting errors when performing escaping the special characters.

This is a typical string I will be working with...

require("../includes/cn.php");$name = mysql_escape_string($HTTP_POST_VARS['name']);$contact_name = mysql_escape_string($HTTP_POST_VARS['contact_name']);

As you can see this string contains the characters mentioned above. If I contain it in a ' or a " then its gonna cause an error. Just a thought, will I have to treat each line seperately i.e. require("../includes/cn.php"); and escape it...then do the next line etc.???

Thanks!!

I know what your trying to do, but, the whole problem is your generating php errors, not mysql ones. mysql_real_esacpe_string will suffice for escaping ' and " as required by mysql, however, for you to be able to form these stringhs in valid php you'll also need to manually escape these chars. eg; If your entire string is enclosed in double quotes, you will need to escape double quotes and $. if your entire string is enclosed in single quotes, you will need to escape single quotes and $.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.