Browser's BACK Button Problem

suma237

I actually want to deactivate the browser's "back button" action when a user has accidently forgot to logged out his session and opened another website in the same window without logging out his session.  I have noticed such faults with rediffmail.com. 

hi Anish  ..  i suppose the problem is not clear, just take an example .. I have logged into my rediffmail account and after accessing my inbox i've opened another website without logging out my rediff  account in the same window , then i l left my PC for a while and somene else purposefully click the back button and accessed my rediff mail accound .  i just want to avoid that  ..  hope now  the issue is clear

Why are you looking for this page? It is your webmail that controls what you see/don't and how your sessions are handled. Unless you have any access to the server and can actually make any changes then you won't be able to integrate anything there.

Bottom line is that the easiest thing to do is NOT try to absolve yourself from any responsibility by trying to automate your security and just logout - if you can remember to do that then you will be fine. If you are using a terminal that may be used by others then don't save any passwords for pages etc.

thanks.  :) and sorry to ask silly questions again ,

could you please explain me how to prevent others from from accessing the secured page by "back button" once i've successfuly logged out my session.  I need to set the page to ask the user to login again with the correct password

thanks.  :) and sorry to ask silly questions again ,

could you please explain me how to prevent others from from accessing the secured page by "back button" once i've successfuly logged out my session.  I need to set the page to ask the user to login again with the correct password

Close your browser down completely.

this means all windows of your browser not just the one that page was opened in.

no - the logout is the script that your webmail provide has - they will use their own logout code. If you simply logout adn close your browser than no one will be able to click teh back button.

THERE IS NO SCRIPT THAT CAN HELP YOU ON THIS. JUST BE A RESPONSIBLE SURFER AND CLOSE THINGS DOWN IF YOU KNWO SOMEONE ESLE MAY USE THE MACHINE AFTER YOU.

hi toon ..hope my query is still not clearly expressed/ understood..    i mentioned rediffmail as just an example . i'm developing a new website with login facillty and i want to redirect the user to login page once he logged out his session .

once user click on logout.php

<?php
session_start()
echo "logging off..............."
session_destroy();
unset($_SESSION['user']);
unset($_SESSION['var2']);

.like that all the session variables
http_redirect ( www.site.com/login.php, "" ,session = FALSE , "")
?>

session = FALSE also kills the session information.

OMG all aplogies - I was getting a bit tired of this thread as I thought it was about logging out of your redffi account

ok logout is like illusion sadi but very simple

if the user logs out use

<?php
session_unset(); // this unsets all session vars.
session_destroy(); // destroys session.
?>

BUT the browser may still store the headers it sent in a cache so if they hit back until they hit the page that processes the login info they get the sesion expired message - if they hit refresh it will send the info agin an possibly log them in

again.

How about

<meta http-equiv="cache-control" content="no-cache">

which clears the entire history.No back button is displayed after that.

I know it is a bad practice, with out user permissions we are going to clear his history, which may be valuable to him.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.