[SOLVED] Video Compression Programs?

Salis

I'm looking to backup my DVDs to my computer, but the problem is, I have 13 movies and well 13 * 8GB +- is 104GB 1/3 of my total storage space (though I plan on upgrading to 1-1.5TB) Any who I've hear about movies being ripped and compressed to about 500 or so MB. Does anyone know of any good software what can do this? I really don't want to rip my movie collection if takes up 100+ GB. Any ideas?

I don't really have the need to go back to DVD format. I never use the menu or scene selection any way. I have have quite a few codecs including divx and xvid. I'm just not sure what programs are used to rip the DVDs. Also, I don't really want several files for 1 move. I would like 1 file for 1 move. Thanks

Sweet. I can't wait to try this out. I use DVD Decrypter To Rip my DVDs to my computer (Which is free as well). You really have to respect those who take the time to create software and make it free for the public.

OK, I had a chance to play with Handbreak and I'm very impressed! Created an MPEG-4 but couldn't render video, so I tried Xvid with 85% quality.. 8GB to just under 1GB. I must say this is an impressive tool. Thanks ardyandkari for the info. I'll definitely keep this on file and backup.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm using the Beta version of Handbreak. My system is actually very good. Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz (E6400 I believe), and 2GB of ram. And running Vista. (Don't say any thing about it.. I have no problems with Vista, runs smooth and efficient. Actually I'm willing to bet the people who say Vista sucks are those who buy the retail version and install it on their 2-3 year old system. My brother and a few of my friends did.. Go with Recommended Hardware NOT minimum requirements!)

Took about 3 hours to convert/compress Ghost Rider to 850-ish MB with an 80% quality. I'm very impressed with the performance. I'm guessing if I buy the E6600 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo and buy better ram CAS of may be 3 vs. 5 and that AIT X1950 PRO (Only a $600 upgrade.... 4 months of saving..) this should speed the process up a little bit....

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.