Protecting Your Copyright

private_guy

Hi there,

Lets say I have include("copyright.php") in a php file, now I dont want anybody to remove this but can remove the other text or code, do you know how? I heard there is an option in IonCuber but I dont want to encode the whole php file.

Best Regards,

Private_Guy

PHP files can't be downloaded off the server unless you make them available by renaming them as .txt or .phps so there is no worry about people downloading your scripts.

Is it really worth copyrighting any code as anyone can grab javascript, CSS or HTML.

I don't bother but you can copyright other materials like any PDF files, graphics etc.

you should protect your code if you think others can gain any commercial benefit from it with out your permission - problem therein is a suitably robuts encryption tool. IMO only those commercial ones like zend guard and ioncube are worth it the other ones could be reverse engineered if someone was determined enough...

If you plan on releasing your script as a commercial script, then you could encrypt it, but it is really annoying for the user if (s)he wants to modify how your script works. If you don't encrypt it, then you can't enforce the inclusion of copyright.php, besides, they could just make it an empty file.

Is it really worth copyrighting any code as anyone can grab javascript, CSS or HTML.

They are not allowed to even if they can. It's still copyright infringement to use copyrighted content without proper permissions.

Dear people,

Isn't copy write act happens by default!

We should be concerened about the "method" happeneing in the php file, but since php file give only the result to the web browser, the method is safe as well right, unless some one tries to take a peek into the php file...this way we should secure our server right.

correct me if I am wrong

I think its a bit of a grey area to be honest.

With my photography I am automatically the copyright owner of any photographs I take.

With web source its a bit tricky. If no copyright is mentioned is it available to public access? Sorry if I can't explain but I've not long woken up!

Dear Yesideez,

You are right, I am with you and confirm any visible article is copyright by default!

But I believe the original poster of this topic is concerned about his codes being stolen, ie the method, since it is on a written form copywrite also covers.

From technical point of view, I believe php files only sends the results to a browser, thus unless someone gets to the server in another way it is impossible to read the php code, thus we should count on our server security, I think.

I agree.

I've had times before when the server has had "issues" (I think servers are female) and when I click on a link pointing to a PHP script I've had the option to download the PHP.

I tried this once to see what I got and I ended up having a completely empty file.

There are methods to hide the fact that you're using PHP by various methods. Problem is, if this fails your site fails.

I used to moderate a very large MORPG and the creator ended up encrypting his PHP source as he was paranoid about others stealing it. When he did this a couple other admin had access to it. This stopped others updating the code as only he could read it.

Personally I don't worry about anyone stealing my code, I'm more concerned with people injecting MySQL queries or taking the server down completely.

If you're releasing your scripts to public to add into their sites then I don't think there's a way to stop them removing or even editing stuff.

You just have to hope they're going to be honest and it's safe to assume that someone will do what you don't want them to do.

Hi there,

I just want to thank everybody for their help and support. I will only encode the important files then. But does anybody know how to create a script that if the user paid for the script, then it removes copyright if found in the database that he paid?

Best Regards,

Private_Guy

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.