Blocking Opera

Cless

Right and I am so sure that opera allows you to edit the source on a remote webpage server. I doubt it. But anyway if you are so sure you can always detect a user agent but these can be faked. But seriously I wouldn't bother doing it who ever said opera is a security risk doesn't know a crap about how webpages work

Yes, you can really edit the pages (the one you are viewing). So, say, you had a form that allowed you to select values. If you had a choice of items, and the value names were the names of the items, they could change the values, so, thus, they get some uber item.

Of course, that is easy to fix, however, there is many more possible exploits.

And people using Opera can just identify as another browser and see the page. Also if someone was dedicated to hack or do anything stupid with your page they would do it no matter what. Blocking a browser is not going to make your page more secure. But if you think ignorance is the key and blocking a browser is the way to go then you can do this.

if (strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'], 'Opera') === true)
       die('Opera not allowed');

Add that to your main page.

So what happens if I'm using Opera and just turn off Javascript?  I can still access your page and I can still edit the source.

I'm sorry but browser blocking, through any mechanism (client or server-side), is a dumb, idiotic, and highly retarded practice in 99% (I'll grant possible exceptions) of all situations.

Browser blocking to increase site security is a dumb, idiotic, and highly retarded thing to do in 100% of situations though.

I suggest you code the back-end properly or hand the project over to someone that knows what they're doing.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.