[SOLVED] Retrieving Info from a database

I would like the code below to fetch and display in an html table the Ad_Id, Date, and Type_Job fields from the 1st 10 rows of a table called employment. I'd like the results to be sorted first by date and then by the Ad_Id #. I have replaced my username and password with "user" and "password". Currently, the script returns the error:

Warning: mysql_fetch_array(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL result resource

Also, the script is ignoring the css info that I have supplied.

Any thoughts?

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<style type="text/css">
.style1{
font-family:"Poor Richard";
font-weight:normal;
font-size:14pt;
text-align:center;
background-color:#FFFFFF;
}
.style2{
font-size:12pt;
background-color:#57A8F9;
text-align:left;
}
.style3{
font-size:12pt;
background-color:#57A8F9;
text-align:center;
}
</style>
</head>

<body style="background-color: #0ACCF5; background-image: url('../images/InsetBackground.jpg')">

<?php

$dbh = mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "password");

if (!$dbh)
  	{
echo "Error: Could not connect to database. Please try again later.";
exit;
}

mysql_select_db("bransone_classifieds");

$result = mysql_query("SELECT Ad_Id, Date, Type_Job FROM employment LIMIT 10 ORDER BY Date, Ad_Id DESC");

echo "<table border=0 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=2 width=100%><span class=\"style1\">
	<tr>
		<td style=\"width: 10%\">#</td>
		<td>Subject</td>
		<td style=\"width: 20%\">Posted On</td>
		<td style=\"width: 15%\">Details</td>
	</span></td>";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
echo "<tr>";
echo "<td>". $row['Ad_Id']."</td>";
echo "<td>". $row['Type_Job']."</td>";
echo "<td>". $row['Date']."</td>";
}
echo "</table>";

?>
</body>
</html>

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

The error is telling you that your SELECT query isn't working properly.

Did you try and plug the query directly into phpMyAdmin?  Are you positive that your msql_select_db call is successful?  Are you sure that you actually established a connection to the DB?

$result = mysql_query("SELECT Ad_Id, Date, Type_Job FROM employment LIMIT 10 ORDER BY Date, Ad_Id DESC");

that should be

$result = mysql_query("SELECT Ad_Id, Date, Type_Job FROM employment  ORDER BY Date, Ad_Id DESC LIMIT 10");

limit always at the end ;D

try these lines instead

mysql_select_db("bransone_classifieds") or die ("could not select the database");

$result = mysql_query("SELECT Ad_Id, Date, Type_Job FROM employment LIMIT 10 ORDER BY Date, Ad_Id DESC") or die ("Error in query" . mysql_error());

it is always a good idea to get the system to throw errors, it lets you know where it is failing

Date is a reserved word, you'll need to use `backticks` to escape it.

$result = mysql_query("SELECT Ad_Id, `Date`, Type_Job FROM employment ORDER BY `Date`, Ad_Id DESC LIMIT 10") or die ("Error in query" . mysql_error());

Thanks all, that got me much further down the path. I can see where adding the error returns makes it easier to tell where the problem lies.

One thing still doesn't add up for me though:

The results are properly sorting in descending order with the Ad IDs, but they don't sort by date correctly. In other words, the Ads sort 10,9,8, etc, but Ads posted on 07/17 display AFTER Ads posted on 07/15.

<?php

$dbh = mysql_connect("localhost", "user", "password");

if (!$dbh)
  	{
echo "Error: Could not connect to database. Please try again later.";
exit;
}

mysql_select_db("bransone_classifieds") or die ("could not select the database");

$result = mysql_query("SELECT Ad_Id, `Date`, Type_Job FROM employment ORDER BY `Date`, Ad_Id DESC LIMIT 10") or die ("Error in query" . mysql_error());

echo "<table border=0 cellpadding=2 cellspacing=2 width=100%>
	<tr class=\"style1\">
		<td style=\"width: 10%\">#</td>
		<td>Subject</td>
		<td style=\"width: 20%\">Posted On</td>
		<td style=\"width: 15%\">Details</td>
	</tr>";

while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))
{
echo "<tr>";
echo "<td>". $row['Ad_Id']."</td>";
echo "<td>". $row['Type_Job']."</td>";
echo "<td>". $row['Date']."</td>";
}
echo "</table>";

?>

Thoughts?

you could always try

$result = mysql_query("SELECT Ad_Id, `Date`, Type_Job FROM employment ORDER BY `Date` DESC,  Ad_Id DESC LIMIT 10") or die ("Error in query" . mysql_error());

or

$result = mysql_query("SELECT Ad_Id, `Date`, Type_Job FROM employment ORDER BY `Date` ASC, Ad_Id DESC LIMIT 10") or die ("Error in query" . mysql_error());

how is the date formatted in the date column??

That did the trick! I didn't realize that you have to specify for each column being sorted whether you want it ascending or descending. As always, you guys (and gals) come through for me.

Now I just have to figure out how to make records 11-20, 21-30, and so on appear on their own pages that the server generates as needed. It's going to be a long day.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.