...sigh...I guess I'm going to have to learn JavaScript

Alternamaton

Not that doing so will be very hard. It's just that, well...JavaScript is such an ugly language. And most of the functions that you really want to use are "black boxes"--that is, they're hidden from you, and you have to test any script that uses them via trial and error rather than simply knowing precisely how the function works.

But I don't think that one can create a professional website with only HTML, CSS, PHP, and MySQL. There's a little something missing--the interface isn't slick enough--and that's where JavaScript comes in. For instance, one of my pages is going to have a central block with three tabs at the top, and the content of the block will depend on which tab is clicked. I certainly can't do this server-side, and have the entire page reload every time one of the tabs is clicked; that wouldn't be slick enough. ;)

This isn't really a help thread, I'm just venting.

hat and AJAX [both Client languages].

Sorry, but Ajax as you call it is not a language. It is merely a concept. As for Javascript not being cross browser compatible, neither is CSS or HTML in most cases, you can blame MS for most of this.

Thats probably the main reason I don't do web dev anymore, I can't be bothered keeping up with a field that wont stand still. Thats just me though.... I simply don't have the patience.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.