[SOLVED] Dynamic CSS file ignored by Firefox

SammyP

I am unable to get my style sheet to work in Firefox. It has nothing non-standard, but it does change depending on some system variables, so it is a php file.

In IE, both of the following work:

<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='style.css' />

<link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href='style.php' />

But in Firefox the latter one gets ignored.

Does anyone know why, or a way around this? I could try to get my server to parse .css files I guess, but it shouldn't be necessary. I am not sure how I could do that anyway.

Sam.

Why would you even use a php ext. for a style sheet?

A style sheet should not have anything in it but text.

But if you have a php file with sniffers for certain variables, then have that called elsewhere but not using the <link rel='stylesheet' type='text/css' href=> link.

See what it says when you run it through the html validator at http://validator.w3.org/

Thanks for that.

All of the style sheet items are held in a database, so the style.php file looks just like a css file, but it is being generated on the fly. I guess there is no reason why it couldn't be inserted into the header rather than being external. Is that what you mean?

The validator had no problem with that line. Didn't like a lot of the other ones though!

Sam.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.