[SOLVED] split() issue

Philip

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if it's because I'm using some AJAX, but I'll go ahead and post it here.

I've been having some problems slitting a string (the response from my php script).

My php page will echo a string like "1|0|40|titlehere". Then I have JS split the string by "|". However, when I try to print out one of the array parts it just comes back as "1,0,40,titlehere"

var response1 = request.responseText.toString();
		var response = response1.split("|");
		var type = response[0];
		var fail = response[1];
		var title_id = response[2];
		var title_name = response[3];
		var fail_error = response[4];
		var updatestatus =  document.getElementById("update-status");
		replaceText(updatestatus, response[2]);

The code above should show a "0" for a string like "1|0|40|titlehere". Instead it shows "1,0,40,titlehere".

I've tried just about everything I could do, adding split directly onto the response text, adding toString() (to make it reads it correctly), splitting again for the commas (which just gives js a loop, and it never finishes loading)

Any ideas?

Yeah, it alerts a statement like above (just different variables inside each section)

Edit:

I found the problem. I had originally put in a [1] at the end, but it got deleted (I think when I was testing to see if it was getting the string correctly) so that's why it was showing the whole array. I need more sleep. Haha

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.