[SOLVED] Not sure how best to approach this...

Aureole

Ok so on my Website I have a lot of pages that have a lot of content that need updating by other people without them having to FTP and edit the PHP files. Now I was just going to have for each piece of individual content have something in a MYSQL DB for it but that would mean everytime I made a new page I would need to add loads of DB tables or rows and forms for people to edit the content and it would take a lot of messing around...

There is no way that I'm going to download some overly-bloated CMS script then rebuild my site using it so what can I do...

If only I could...I mean I wouldn't mind using a CMS but they are huge and have loads of useless features that aren't really needed and hard to implement into a site that you already have...

In fact you can't implement them, you have to start from scratch...

you could give them FTP access and change permissions on which files they can access.

i mean, that is if youre just worried about them messing with other pages and thats the reason you dont want them to have FTP access.

otherwise, open the file from another page, display the code into a <textarea>, allow them to change it, and save the changes to the file (ie, delete the current file, create a new one with the updated code). 

No I didn't want to give them access to FTP because they don't know PHP/HTML etc. etc. and they might mess up the pages.

Then your going to need to build a CMS. How complex this CMS becomes depends on what faetures you want really. A CMS can be as simple as a form to add/edit/remove data from a database.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.