Trimming an email address

zonkd

I've a list of email addresses that I want to publish on a website. I want to extract the name before "@", then split it into two, and cap the first letter of both.

I plan to show the name and have it as a mailto with the address, of course,  in an <a href> situation.

Be very grateful for some guidance.

Cheers all

paul

I want to extract the name before "@", then split it into two, and cap the first letter of both.

The explode() function can split the string on @ into two array elements

The ucfirst() function will convert the first letter of a string to upper case

set @email := 'first@last.com';
select @email, SUBSTRING( @email, 1, INSTR(@email, '@'  ) - 1 ) AS user, SUBSTRING_INDEX(@email,'@',-1) AS host

It's a little ugly to then use another set of substring function to mimic ucfirst()....

Fenway, genius says the label. May I borrow a little of it, please?

What I don't follow is how I would use this. I have a mysql select that puts the email address onto the page. Something like ...

$result = mysql_query("SELECT email_address, etc etc FROM etc WHERE etc");

Where would your code go here, please?

I know this is very basic, but I can't decide if you mean it should go round the record name or to be declared separately.

Hopefully

paul

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.