Checking VPS for Problems

mcmuney

I'm on a VPS and have noticed for about a week that between the hours of 23:00 - 02:00, my site becomes very slow. I'm very inexperienced with VPS root access and don't know what to do. How can I check to see what's causing the problem?

Thats a very open ended question realy!

There best thing to do would be to work out what you think the problems may be, and then try to iliminate them.  For example are you running a large number of cron tasks, or backups between those times?

If its a VPS it could be something to do with the other sites on the server.  It could be that one of them is using up large amount of bandwith or the servers capacity between those times. 

On thing that you could try is as root running, between those hours the comand "top".  (just type it into the command line).  This will show you what resorces are being used by what.  You may for example see that appache is suddenly requiring a large amount of proccing power between these times.  Another good option would be to check through the logs.

Persionaly i would start by checking with your hosts.  It could well be that they use the bandwith for backups at those times.  Hope that helps alittle.

the_oliver's suggestions are excellent, although I'd like to add a few of my own and elaborate a few of his.

For a more comprehensive view of your processes and overall system load, I always suggest htop over top. It's an improved top, uptime, and a cpu/mem/swap monitor, all in one.

And to see the cron jobs that are scheduled, run `crontab -e` to edit the list of jobs.

If you find that your network interfaces are being flooded, I recommend iptraf to see a list of hosts currently connected to your interfaces, and to see which ones are using up the most bandwidth.

• 4 weeks later...

htop - very nice :)  I learn something new every day.

mcmuney : I suggest you install munin.

apt-get install munin munin-node

It works out of the box with no configing. It has plugins for mysql and apache etc. It will show you whether its a network issue, IO issue or whatever.

-steve

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.