How much time do you normally spend on each section of a project?

mattkenefick

For example.. lets saying you were making a community site.. Can be pretty complex..

So you have things to handle like a messaging system, user database, maybe some kind of e-commerce to handle membership fees, different user types / permissions , admin back-end, news, faq, forum, etc...

How much time do you normally spend on each section? And what order do you normally do it in? Do you break it into more steps?

- Wireframing

- Cutting images, setting up template pages

- Determining what fields / tables / etc to use for database structure

- Programming templates together

- Securing login / sessions

- E-commerce

- Applications

- Final Touches

I'm doing a larger scale app (not a community site) and was wondering what road you all take? I started out with a few days of wireframes which I found to be REAL helpful. We wireframed out almost every page, then fleshed most of them out in Photoshop.

Then I went through and cut out all the images I'd need. Started building a page in HTML all in one file (css, html, anything else) then started dividing out the CSS / Scripts / HTML sections into Smarty or respective places.

I have most of the style names and image names the same except for a prefix so all I have to do is change one word and have a new looking page (diff images etc).

Once I'm set on the templates, I think I'll be starting the login system and linking the pages together.

Then once I can nav through it logged in and out, I think I'll start building the inner applications of it.

I kind of think of it like building house. Put up the walls and make the outside look nice, so you have your structure you can nav through. Then once all your rooms are created, start putting up the interior design and polishing it off (applications etc).. then fix up the yard at the end (server).

How does everyone else go about it?  :-X

dude, you have to give it more than a few hours for a reply. You're posting in a downtime in our forums. Most people don't get on till evening time when they get OFF WORK! Some of us can't sit around on the forums all day helping in every topic so you will have an  answer three minutes after you post. 

this forum really sucks

Your question really sucks. How long is a piece of string? The time you take completely and utterly depends on the size and complexity of the given thing.

Twice the length of half a piece of string... ;)

The only thing that aggravates me about these kind of posts is the fact behind the post.  These kinds of posts come from smoochers, and low lives.  People who want a lot of stuff for free. I came by and read this going to give advice on it but instead I see some arragant, self centered, impatient person that want's to get this not only for free, but the way he wants it.  Customizable services are ones you pay for.  This form, and all the people on it arent' a service you are paying for.  They are a group of people that come here during the free time they have to help people who deserve it, not people who are spoiled brats and can't stand being forced to wait a few hours for something that is free anyway.  I can fully understand why you originally got upset and just locked the post, I would have done the same.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.