How to get a php development job?

wrathican

If you have any advice at all, please let me know!

A bit about me first:

well im only 20, i went to college here in the UK to study E-Media for 2 years at BTEC level.

I realised the potential of PHP about 7 or 8 months ago but only over the past 3 or 4 months begun to teach myself it.

ive sucessfully built one website so far using php and mysql, during this i realised im more of a developer than a designer. i just dont seem to be creative enough. im currently looking to embark upon the world of employment but only have my education and this one site behind me. i wouldnt mind starting out as a junior, infact that wuld be ideal. the trouble is, how the hell do it do it? I have a few Q's that i think may help me begin my search..

Do i need a portfolio? if so what do i put in it if im more focussed on development than design?

Do i put what techniques i use in my CV? whats the best way to describe them?

Is experience needed? How do i get the experience?

Do i look for jobs on the web? what sites should i look at? What kind of jobs should i look for?

Do i just send my CV out to companies?

I am really interested in php development and i want to base my career around that, if there is such a thing?

if you could help me i would really appreciate it

and i guess it would help people in the future in the same position as me

Thanks!

As part owner of a design and development company, I'd at least want to see some form of portfolio. If your not a graphic designer, you'd still list the sites that you have worked on and what feature-set you designed and built, experience comes with building your portfolio.

Just out of curiosity, where abouts in the UK are you based? We're currently thinking about taking on a "junior" developer...

I don't really know of many companies hiring a PHP developer.  That would probably be something extra to have on your resume, but I don't think will cut it alone.  As stated above, a portfolio of some sort would be nice.  I think today you have to be a bit of a jack of all trades, and at least specialize in one.  I'd start by creating your own custom blog showing you can create something useful with the language.

well im currently working on my own online portfolio. which should be ready in the next two weeks or so

and i have at least one full blown site that i developed i can put in.

i have all my college work that i have done over the past 2 years using various pieces of software im thinking about using.

and to SemiApocalyptic:

im based in Leeds, West Yorkshire if thats of any use? :P

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.