• 4 weeks later...

Using dreamweaver to create php code is soooo bloated and inefficient. I use DW for layouts and such too, but hand code your PHP. You'll do yourself a favor by reducing the file size and also it will teach you how to work through logical problems and proper coding skills whereas DW will teach you how to click the right buttons.

just my opinion for what it's worth.

Nate

Using dreamweaver to create php code is soooo bloated and inefficient. I use DW for layouts and such too, but hand code your PHP. You'll do yourself a favor by reducing the file size and also it will teach you how to work through logical problems and proper coding skills whereas DW will teach you how to click the right buttons.

Probably what u said is by the idea that using notepad for coding and stuff makes u a hardcore. Imo DW is the best all around editor out there. For php it helps on code formating, code coloring (so u distinguish functions, strings, comments etc) and simple code hinting on core functions. About using recordsets and stuff (it remembers me asp.net) is a matter of choice. Myself i find it a lot easier coding them then just running some wizards, but eventhough it doesnt mean who uses them is a noob and the application cant be judged by the way some use it.

Probably what u said is by the idea that using notepad for coding and stuff makes u a hardcore. Imo DW is the best all around editor out there. For php it helps on code formating, code coloring (so u distinguish functions, strings, comments etc) and simple code hinting on core functions. About using recordsets and stuff (it remembers me asp.net) is a matter of choice. Myself i find it a lot easier coding them then just running some wizards, but eventhough it doesnt mean who uses them is a noob and the application cant be judged by the way some use it.

hardcore schmardcore, I don't feel there is more glory to be gained by using notepad. I code my php in dreamweaver for the precise reasons you mentioned, the code coloring, code completion and such. But is what I meant was that php should be done in code view by hand rather than letting Dreamweaver create the PHP for you. There is no wrong or right way, but I feel that a person will be better off hand coding as opposed to letting Dreamweaver create the code.

Just my $.02

Nate

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.