System administration book

jondo

hi,

i am going to be getting a VPS in the near future and would like to get a good book on system administration.  if possible it should contain: how to set the server up for LAMP development, configuring apache, php, mysql etc; setup and usage of openSSL and openSSH.  i have never had to set up or maintain a server before so the book really needs to start at the beginning.  any recommendations?

thanks for your help

Do you know what Linux distribution you are going to use?

If you choose Ubuntu or Fedora for example, there are sys admin books specifically for this OS, and will help a lot. Typically you cant go wrong getting an O'Reilly published book.

I personally learned LAMP and the individual setting up of services from a combination of web Guides and how-tos. I'd research 3 or 4 installation methods of a particular component, and then pick the most relevant and accurate guide.

-steve

cheers for the reply, i don't really trying to learn a whole new area like that though, i have found from past experience that it leaves you with a patchy knowledge of what you are trying to learn, i find tutorials etc better once you actually have a solid grounding in a technology

You probably can't go far past the Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition book as far as system administration is concerned even if it is a little dated. Unfortunately though, system administration and LAMP administration are two different (though maybe overlapping) topics that I can't see being covered together in any great detail.

Learn to administer a Linux system first, from there, the *amp stack is just like installing and configuring any other software. You'll just need to look carefully at your security considerations.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.