Help::Multiple table insert into 4 tables

Utech22

I want to insert data from a html form into 4 mysql table using php.

This code is inserting but duplicating the values about 6 times:

$query = ("INSERT INTO name (fname,lname,..) VALUES ("Mary","Blige",..)"); 
$query = ("INSERT INTO address (town,parish,..) VALUES ("Mona","St. Andrew",..)"); 
$query = ("INSERT INTO phone (cell,fax,..) VALUES (8760001234,8769230002,..)"); 
$query = ("INSERT INTO computer (brand,type,..) VALUES ("Dell","Laptop",..)"); 

mysql_query($query)or die(mysql_error()); 

This is the select statement I have:

$query_student = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM name, address, phone, computer')or die (mysql_error());
while ($result_stu = mysql_fetch_array($query_student))
{
                  //echo statement to display the info
             }

How do I insert the data from the html form into the 4 mysql table?

First off mysql will throw an error cause you are using double quotes. (not to mention php also for a syntax error)  MySQL uses single quotes around data.

You would access form elements by $_POST['fieldname']

You would have to run mysql_query() on each of those statements, as the way you have it only the last statement would be executed.

Are you refering to this method:

$query  = ('INSERT INTO name (fname,lname,..) VALUES ('Mary','Blige',..);  ')
$query1 = ('INSERT INTO address (town,parish,..) VALUES ('Mona','t. Andrew',..);  ')
$query2 = ('INSERT INTO phone (cell,fax,..) VALUES (8760001234,8769230002,..);  ')
$query3 = ('INSERT INTO computer (brand,type,..) VALUES ('Dell','Laptop',..);  ')

mysql_query($query1)or die(mysql_error()); 
mysql_query($query2)or die(mysql_error()); 
mysql_query($query3)or die(mysql_error());  

Yes! The fields are access form elements by $POST['fieldname']

Are you refering to this method:

$query  = ('INSERT INTO name (fname,lname,..) VALUES ('Mary','Blige',..);  ')
$query1 = ('INSERT INTO address (town,parish,..) VALUES ('Mona','t. Andrew',..);  ')
$query2 = ('INSERT INTO phone (cell,fax,..) VALUES (8760001234,8769230002,..);  ')
$query3 = ('INSERT INTO computer (brand,type,..) VALUES ('Dell','Laptop',..);  ')

Yes! The fields are access form elements by $POST['fieldname']

i guess this solved the prob so mark this solved by the way looking back at your code

the vakue for the $query  will only be the last $query= ('INSERT INTO computer (brand,type,..) VALUES ('Dell','Laptop',..);  ') it will be overwriten over and over agian and take the last $query variable to run on the query

your query is correct, to avoid duplicates, after inserting a first table, get a last inserted id, and stored that id in other tables,

$query  = ('INSERT INTO name (fname,lname,..) VALUES ('Mary','Blige',..);  ') // here, set custid as autoincrement

$res = mysql_query($query)or die(mysql_error());

$custid = mysql_insert_id ($res);

$query1 = ('INSERT INTO address (custid,town,parish,..) VALUES (1,'Mona','t. Andrew',..);  ')

$query2 = ('INSERT INTO phone (custid,cell,fax,..) VALUES (1,8760001234,8769230002,..);  ')

$query3 = ('INSERT INTO computer (custid,brand,type,..) VALUES (1,'Dell','Laptop',..);  ')

The query works but i'm still wondering why you'd want to have 4 separate tables. To me this looks like a single record regarding an person, their address, their phone and what computer they have. This should be in one table and have one query.

you question is correct, but the user needs to access only the contact nos or their computer brands,  instead of access the large single table, a seperate table for contacts, computer brands, is slightly faster. whenever the very large number of records are stored in a table

Thank for the info so far. Let I modify to a more exact example

$id = $_POST['id']; //primary key: name table, foriegn key: other tables  

$fname = $_POST['fname'];

$lname = $_POST['lname'];

$town = $_POST['town'];

$parish = $_POST['parish'];

$cell = $_POST['cell'];

$fax = $_POST['fax'];

$brand = $_POST['brand'];

$type = $_POST['type'];

$query  = ("INSERT INTO name (id,fname,lname,..) VALUES ('$id','$fname','$lname',..)") or die(mysql_error());  

$query = ("INSERT INTO address (id,town,parish,..) VALUES ($id','$town','$parish',..)") or die(mysql_error());  

$query = ("INSERT INTO phone (id,cell,fax,..) VALUES ('$id','$cell','$fax',..)") or die(mysql_error());  

$query = ("INSERT INTO computer (id,brand,type,..) VALUES ('$id','$brand','$type',..)") or die(mysql_error());  

This is what I have for the query:

$query = mysql_query('SELECT * FROM istudent, iaddress, iprogramme, iemployment')or die (mysql_error());

while ($result = mysql_fetch_array($query))

{

echo $result['fname'];

//other echo statements

}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.