CSS Design doesn't work in IE6 or IE5.5

subzerostudio

I have a CSS expandable design that I'm creating. However the design doesn't work properly in IE6 or IE5.5. It works fine in IE7 and FF2.

The site can be seen here:

http://www.subzerostudio.com/Clients/etc/

I have positioned the left hand menu and the right hand sidebar absolutely. Then the middle content area should expand up to the edge of this elements - I have made sure they don't overlap by adding:

margin-left: 190px;
margin-right: 220px;

I think it is the way I've positioned this content which is causing a problem in these browsers?

Any help appreciated - my CSS code is given below.

Thanks

Mike

--------

#container {
background:url(images/content-background.gif) top left no-repeat #FFFFFF;
}

.prop {
height:580px;
float:right;
width:1px;
}

.clear { clear: both; }

#menu-container {
position: absolute;
top: 162px;
left: 105px;
width:152px;
}

#content {
margin-top: 140px;
margin-left: 190px;
margin-right: 220px;
float: left;

}

#sidebar {
position: absolute;
right: 0px;
width:220px;
margin-top: 140px;
} 

IE5.5 is almost not worth worrying over - Only MAC users have it and if they are still using it then there is something wrong with them!!!

In terms of effort and market - the percentage of ie5.5 users doesn't really justify putting that much effort into it - < 1% use ie 5.5 and you can bet your bottom dollar that the vast majority of those are people who are using it to test their sites against!

Opening your site in ie6 all looks pretty good... - just be careful with your z-indexs in ie6 (if you are using them0 ie6 restarts the stack for z-indexes are various trigger points - which is about as annoying as you can get!)

If you really want to deal with IE 5.0 and 5.5, here is the authority on how to hack IE:

http://www.positioniseverything.net/explorer.html

I, too, have finally stopped worrying about IE 5.5 - even though I see a few people who still use it in my stats. If we all stop wasting our time trying to make old IE work, then these people will finally get a clue and upgrade to either 6.0 or a real browser like FF.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.