Deciding jQuery or Mootools

Liquid Fire

I have tried to post this on jQuery mailing list/forums system but it is not posting for whatever reason so maybe some people who have used either or both can help me out

I have been working with mootools for a bit the past few months and started to take a look at jQuery too see what the hype is all about from what i have heard from a co-worker.  From what i see, jQuery does not offer anything that mootools does not.  I mean jQuery does have

$().click

and i don't believe Mootools has anything like that, they just have the:

$().addEvent('click', function(){});

However this is just a shortcut and not a major thing.  On thing that jQuery has is that there are far more scripts however this is just to the fact that jQuery has been around longer than mootools.  However on the other hand mootools has is a very nice way to create new classes.  All i have to do is:

http://www.apex-wowguild.com/dev/javascript/ajax.js

Now I have been told that  jQuery tries to do things more like the OO method.  Well to me the basically thing about OO is being able to combine members(variables) and methods(functions) into a common place(class/object).  I have tried creating a simple class with jQuery and it does not work(this code if based off what i was told from these forums):

var ajax_request = function(options)

{

ajax_options =

{

test: 'test'

};

test = function()

{

alert(this.test);

}

}

var test = new ajax_request();

test.test();

and this code tells me that test() is not a function of test.  It seems that jQuery wants you to incorporate everything into the $() selector which does not make sense of everything.  Being able create separate object is something that is important to me and jQuery does not seem to support that.

Another thing that that jQuery says is that is it so small.  Well comparing the full version of mootools(all options selected) to the full version of jQuery is unfair.  In order to get allt he features of full mootools you would have to add jQuery interface script and comparing mootools to jQuery&Interface script, mootools is still smaller.

So why should someone choose jQuery over Mootools or is it really just a preference thing and and both are basically the same(i see a lot about jQuery vs prototype but not alot about jQuery vs mootools)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.