[SOLVED] bitrwise operator..

DanDaBeginner

thank you tibberous,

thank you Orio, even if the need of bitwise is not that much.. i really want to grab the concept behind it.. explaing it to me will be helpful...

bitsets? binary setting in a single variable? what is that? sorry for my ignorance but I really like to know this one...

Some languages short ors and ands, not sure if php does.

It works like this:

Lets say you have an if statement:

if($word1 == 'true' && $word2 == 'false')

Now, if $word1 is not equal to 'true', the if is false, regardless of $word2. Rather than calculate the irrelevant $word2 == 'false', it just skips it and evaluates the if to false. In this case it doesn't matter, but if the line was something like:

if($word1 == 'true' && ($words--)>0)

then shorting the if would keep $words-- from happening if $word1 was not equal to 'true'. Makes for a bitch of a runtime error, and using ^ in place of && keeps it from happening....

I think...

Might just be C++...

or Java...

Try it :)

Also, I don't think there is any guarantee the conditions are evaluated in order, and it might be there evaluated in reverse.

My research has found that php does short expressions, that ^ and | keeps it from doing that, and that it seems to go from left to right, but that might not be guaranteed.

And ^ ands bits, which is like adding them, except it doesn't carry. So...

1010 ^

1100 =

You kind of have to know a little bit about binary, it's hard to explain online.

It isn't used much. You only have to use it if it's built into a 3rd party library, and even then you don't really have to understand it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.