Mysql Limitations

TheFilmGod

Realistically mysql is efficient up to about 100 million rows (I've heard of a billion+ working okay).  The key is proper indexing and proper storage of data.  When you are making a database with tables that will have millions of records (such as a forum) the you want to try and link all your tables together using the minimal amount of data (i.e link using the Ids of other tables)  then the second key is query structure.  Don't use the * operator and get all fields.  Get what you need and only what you need.  As for space I believe the longblob can contain 4.8gb of data which if you are storing more consider flat file with compression.  As for the searching make sure all queries have a where part or you gonna crash probably.  Also if you are going to a corperate solution try oracle based dbs much better for high volumes, but a pain to setup/learn.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.