$game_time = $row['game_time'];
if ( is_null($game_time) )
{
echo "TBA" ;
}
else {
echo $game_time ;
}

and, same result.  All time still display as the time field designates.  I am still receiving 12:00 am.

<?php

// mySQL Table
$division_id = $_GET['division_id'];
$sql = "SELECT * FROM `f2007_scheduling` WHERE division_id='$division_id'";
$result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
$i = 0;

if ($game_time == '00:00:00')
{
 $game_time = "TBA" ;
}
else {
 $game_time = date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time'])); 
}

echo "</p>
<table width='100%' cellpadding='1' cellspacing='0' border='1' bordercolor='#3c64a0'>
<tr class='tbl-border'>
	<td><b><font size='1'>Status:</font></b></td>
	<td><b><font size='1'>Game ID:</font></b></td>
	<td><b><font size='1'>Date & Time:</font></b></td>
	<td><b><font size='1'>Teams:</font></b></td>
	<td><b><font size='1'>Field:</font></b></td>
</tr>\n";
   while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
	echo "<tr>
	<td class='$tclass' valign='top'><font color='#ff0000' size='1'>".$row['status']."</font></td>
	<td class='$tclass' valign='top'><font size='1'>".$row['game_id']."</font></td>
	<td class='$tclass' valign='top'>
	<p style='margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0'><font size='1'>".$row['game_date']=date("l, F j",strtotime($row['game_date']))."</font></p>
	<p style='margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0'><font size='1'>at ".$row['game_time']=date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time']))."</font></p>
	</td>
	<p style='margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0'><font size='1'>".$row['home_team']." <font color='#FF0000'>(H)</font> vs.</font></p>
	<p style='margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0'><font size='1'>".$row['visit_team']." <font color='#FF0000'>(V)</font></font></p> 
	</td>
	<td class='$tclass' valign='top'><font size='1'>".$row['field']." ".$row['field_no']."</font></td>
</tr>\n";
}
echo "</table>\n";

// mySQL ends

?>

I tried changing:

else {
 $game_time = date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time'])); 
}

to:

elso {
 $game_time = "ok" ;
}

This changed nothing in the results. All dates are showing as they have been all along.  I do not think that the if statement is correct. Any other suggestions???

<?php
{
echo "TBA" ;
}
else {
echo $game_time ;
}

and, same result.  All time still display as the time field designates.  I am still receiving 12:00 am.

That's your code.  It appears to prove conclusively that $game_time = 12:00 am.  That's what your post says.  What am I missing?

That is not my code. That was something that MadTechie asked me to do.

i have a bad solution which i didn't want to say but if you need any solution..

<?php
$game_time = $row['game_time']
var_dump($game_time); //add this line
die;// add this line
if ($game_time == '00:00:00')
{
echo "TBA" ;
}
else {
echo $game_time ;
}

whats returned

Table:

CREATE TABLE `f2007_scheduling` (

`status` text NOT NULL,

`division_id` int(5) NOT NULL default '0',

`game_id` int(6) NOT NULL default '0',

`game_date` date NOT NULL default '0000-00-00',

`game_time` time NOT NULL default '00:00:00',

`home_team` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',

`field` text NOT NULL,

`field_no` text NOT NULL,

`visit_team` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',

PRIMARY KEY (`game_id`),

Here is a line from my table that I keep viewing:

INSERT INTO `f2007_scheduling` VALUES ('Time ?', '14 A2 Red', 204205, '2007-09-15', '00:00:00', 'Team A', 'Home Field', '1', 'Team B');

According to the code, it should display 12:00 am, but I want it to say "TBA".  These kids are not going to play at 12:00 am.  00:00:00 is the default setting if no time is set.  Whats the deal?

I don't necessarily want you to give up, but I have issues with mySQL time fields all the time.  I still don't know what php function gets the time in the right format for the time field.  You *could* just put hour minute and second INT values in your database.  That would get rid of this specific problem.

or instead, you could use MySQL to its full potential here.  you can use IF() to pull out the correct value:

SELECT IF(game_time <> '00:00:00', game_time, 'TBA') AS new_game_time FROM table

if your game_time column actually defaults to NULL (as madtechie is implying might be the case), you can use IFNULL().  have a look in the MySQL manual in the section Functions and Operators for more info.

MadTechie: It did return "NULL".

BlueSkyIS: I alterred to allow NULL. Now my results still return 12:00 am instead of nothing, even after removing

<?php
{
echo "TBA" ;
}
else {
echo $game_time ;
}

did it return a NULL variable type, or a string variable type with the value 'NULL'?  there's a big difference.  if they are going in as NULL (rather than 0000-00-00), try this:

SELECT IFNULL(game_time, 'TBA') AS game_time FROM table

this will select game_time if it isn't NULL, but if it is NULL, will pull 'TBA' instead.

I must be doing something wrong. Null appears as 12:00 am also.

<?php

// mySQL Table
$sql = "SELECT *, IFNULL(game_time, 'TBA') AS new_game_time FROM `f2007_scheduling` WHERE division_id='$division_id'";	$result = mysql_query($sql) or die(mysql_error());
$i = 0;

echo "</p>
<table width='100%' cellpadding='1' cellspacing='0' border='1' bordercolor='#3c64a0'>
<tr class='tbl-border'>
</tr>\n";
	echo "<tr>
	<td class='$tclass' valign='top'><font color='#ff0000' size='1'>".$row['status']."</font></td>
	<p style='margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0'><font size='1'>".$row['game_date']=date("l, F j",strtotime($row['game_date']))."</font></p>
	<p style='margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0'><font size='1'>at ".$row['game_time']=date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time']))."</font></p>
	</td>
	<p style='margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0'><font size='1'>".$row['home_team']." <font color='#FF0000'>(H)</font> vs.</font></p>
	<p style='margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0'><font size='1'>".$row['visit_team']." <font color='#FF0000'>(V)</font></font></p> 
	</td>
	<td class='$tclass' valign='top'><font size='1'>".$row['field']." ".$row['field_no']."</font></td>
</tr>\n";
}
echo "</table>\n";

// mySQL ends

?>

Table is configured as:

CREATE TABLE `f2007_scheduling` (

`status` text NOT NULL,

`division_id` int(5) NOT NULL default '0',

`game_id` int(6) NOT NULL default '0',

`game_date` date NOT NULL default '0000-00-00',

`game_time` time default '00:00:00',

`home_team` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',

`field` text NOT NULL,

`field_no` text NOT NULL,

`visit_team` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',

Is this correct? Or, where am I wrong?

Did you ever try the code samples you were given - EXACTLY as they were posted? Or did you try and work those into your script above? I ask because several of those samples were posted to see what exactly what was being returned.

What you have above will not work. And from the previous posts you keep changing things so this is becommng a moving target. Once you changed the db to allow nulls, did you go back and set the values to null for all the records that previously had 00:00:00? If not, that query above will continue to return a time instead of "TBA".

And, even if you did set the time to null for all the appropriate records, it will still fail to give you the results you want. Because if the time for a record is returned as "TBA" you will then change that value once you pass that value to the date() function.

Try this code - exactly as it is posted and see what results you get (comment one of the two lines out as appropriate based upon whether you have nulls or 00:00:00 in your existing records)

<?php

//Comment out one of these lines based upon what you are storing for "no time"
  //$game_time = ($row['game_time']!=null)?date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time'])):'TBA';
  $game_time = ($row['game_time']!='00:00:00')?date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time'])):'TBA';

echo $row['game_id'] . ' : ' . $row['game_time'] . '<br>';
}

?>

Also, I am perplexed why you are doing a variable assignment within your echo. You are not using that variable anywhere, so it is a waste.

FYI: I would be satisfied with the NULL game_time returning a blank result rather than TBA.

It seems like, when

=date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time']))

is added to my echo is where thinks go astray. That alteration is what brings back the 12:00 am. Why is that?  And/or is there a way to fix my issue?

Ok, that was the exact issue I identified on page one of this post. The code was setting the time value to TBA, but then when you ran the date() function on it, the function got "confused" because you passes it something it coudn't interpret as a time.

That is why all of the help that others were trying to provide earlier was not working. The provided code snippets needed to be implemented exactly as they were provided as they were trying to debug the problem.

I have two last comments.

First, did you try uncommenting out the first $game_time = line and commenting out the second as I suggested if you actually had nulls in your table???

Second why are you using this in your echo statement:

$row['game_time']=date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time']))

That makes no sense why you would assign a value to the variable in the echo statement instead of just displaying the time.

Anyway, based upon what I *think* is going on here, try this:

<?php

// mySQL Table

echo "</p>
    <tr class='tbl-border'>
    </tr>\n";

$game_time = ($row['game_time']!=null)?date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time'])):'TBA';

echo "<tr>
        <p style='margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0'><font size='1'>".date("l, F j",strtotime($row['game_date']))."</font></p>
        <p style='margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0'><font size='1'>at ".$game_time."</font></p>
      </td>
      </td>
    </tr>\n";
  }

echo "</table>\n";

?>

Also, you should not use FONT tags - they have been deprecated for a long time. You are already using class tags. Add the font properties to those classes.

Freakin' A!  I have a lot to learn.

You suggestion did do the trick.

1. - I did not try uncommenting out the first $game_time.  I missed this, yet not totally understanding its relationship.

2. - I tried so many things in the echo.  You had suggested something like that on: August 20, 2007, 01:44:35 PM

I have been playing with this for so long.  If all times were provided in a timely manner as I requested, we prolly would not have to go through this, but I will keep learning.

Thanks Man!

1. - I did not try uncommenting out the first $game_time.  I missed this, yet not totally understanding its relationship.

I was using a ternary operator which is basically a shorthad way of doing an if/else statement and which many new programmers aren't familiar with, but is a great time-saver. Here is the format:

$variable = (condition) ? true_value : false_value;

Here are the two lines I had, with an explanation, for your learning pleasure:

$game_time = ($row['game_time']!=null)?date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time'])):'TBA';

This line would be used where the records without a valid time have a null value. If the returned value for that record does not equal null, then $game_time = date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time'])), otherwise it will equal 'TBA'

$game_time = ($row['game_time']!='00:00:00')?date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time'])):'TBA';

This line would be used where the records without a valid time have 00:00:00 as their value. If the returned value for that record does not equal '00:00:00', then $game_time = date("g:i a", strtotime($row['game_time'])), otherwise it will equal 'TBA'

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.