[SOLVED] trouble installing php in linux(gentoo) box

i was following this tutorial: http://benstrawbridge.com/worklogs/index.php?pg=lamp

to install LAMP on my gentoo box. apache emerged perfectly. then when i tried to emerge php, portage couldn't find a build for mod_php. so i left that part out. sablotron emerged just fine. but at the very end of emerging php, a certain file was missing so it aborted the build.

>>> Emerging (4 of 5) dev-lang/php-5.1.6-r6 to /
>>> Downloading 'http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2'
--16:51:28--  http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2
           => `/mnt/distfiles/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2'
Resolving gentoo.osuosl.org... 64.50.236.52, 64.50.238.52
Connecting to gentoo.osuosl.org|64.50.236.52|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
16:51:28 ERROR 404: Not Found.

>>> Downloading 'http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2'
--16:51:28--  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2
Resolving www.ibiblio.org... 152.46.7.80
Connecting to www.ibiblio.org|152.46.7.80|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2 [following]
--16:51:28--  http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo/distfiles/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2
Resolving distro.ibiblio.org... 152.46.7.109
Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org|152.46.7.109|:80... connected.
16:51:29 ERROR 404: Not Found.

>>> Downloading 'http://gentoo.longitekk.com/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2'
--16:51:29--  http://gentoo.longitekk.com/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2
Resolving gentoo.longitekk.com... 83.133.81.198
Connecting to gentoo.longitekk.com|83.133.81.198|:80... connected.
16:51:31 ERROR 404: Not Found.

!!! Couldn't download 'php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2'. Aborting.

then i tried:

kumi@throne / $ sudo wget http://gentoo.longitekk.com/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2
--16:55:41--  http://gentoo.longitekk.com/php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2
           => `php-patchset-5.1.6-r3.tar.bz2'
16:55:42 ERROR 404: Not Found.

so i went to the url and found that the file is r8, not r3.

kumi@throne / $ sudo wget http://gentoo.longitekk.com/php-patchset-5.1.6-r8.tar.bz2
--16:55:58--  http://gentoo.longitekk.com/php-patchset-5.1.6-r8.tar.bz2
           => `php-patchset-5.1.6-r8.tar.bz2'
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 30,004 (29K) [application/x-tar]

100%[===================================================================================================================>] 30,004        86.44K/s             

16:56:00 (86.17 KB/s) - `php-patchset-5.1.6-r8.tar.bz2' saved [30004/30004]

now i have this file, but i have no idea where it's supposed to go or what it's supposed to do. i checked to see if php would run without this patchset but it didn't work. does anybody know what to do from here? i guess i'm really just concerned where these files are supposed to go, and what i should be looking for to see how far the installation got. any help?

All source tar packages are stored within /usr/portage/distfiles, however it would appear to me you haven't updated your tree prior to attempting an install. On top of that, that tutorial looks pretty out of date.

LAMP is a pretty simple install with Gentoo.

All you really need do is run....

emerge --sync ; emerge -pv dev-lang/php

This will sync (update) the portage tree, then do a pretend emerge of php. It will display the avaliable USE flags that can be set for php. Set what you wish in either /etc/make.conf or /etc/portage/package.use (I prefer the latter), then run...

emerge -pv dev-lang/php

again to see the new list of what will be emerged. Keep adjusting your flags accordingly untill your satisfied all the php features you want are going to be emerged. Once your satisfied, run...

emerge dev-lang/php

to actually install all required packages. There is no need to install individual packages (as per that tutorial) as portage will pull in dependencies depending on your USE flags.

Id'e post my USE flags for php but I'm at work. If you need any more help, just let us know.

thank you very much thorpe and i apologize for taking so long to reply. i was out of town for a few days. anyway i came back and found that it really wasn't my portage tree. it was my portage partition that was out of space. you can find out how i solved this issue here:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-578345-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html

and after a long while of learning a whole lot, i finally ran emerge php:

kumi@throne ~ $ sudo emerge -pv dev-lang/php

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies ... done!                           
[ebuild  NS   ] sys-devel/automake-1.10  873 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] app-doc/php-docs-20050822  2,678 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] dev-lang/php-5.2.4_pre200708051230-r2  USE="apache2 berkdb bzip2 cli crypt doc gdbm iconv ipv6 kerberos ldap ncurses nls pcre readline reflection session spl ssl unicode zlib -adabas -bcmath -birdstep -calendar -cdb -cgi -cjk -concurrentmodphp -ctype -curl -curlwrappers -db2 -dbase -dbmaker -debug -discard-path -empress -empress-bcs -esoob -exif -fastbuild -fdftk -filter -firebird -flatfile -force-cgi-redirect -frontbase -ftp -gd -gd-external -gmp -hash -imap -inifile -interbase -iodbc -java-external -json -ldap-sasl -libedit -mcve -mhash -msql -mssql -mysql -mysqli -oci8 -oci8-instant-client -odbc -pcntl -pdo -pdo-external -pic -posix -postgres -qdbm -recode -sapdb -sharedext -sharedmem -simplexml -snmp -soap -sockets -solid -spell -sqlite -suhosin -sybase -sybase-ct -sysvipc -threads -tidy -tokenizer -truetype -wddx -xml -xmlreader -xmlrpc -xmlwriter -xpm -xsl -yaz -zip -zip-external" 6,959 kB 

Total: 3 packages (2 new, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 10,509 kB

now, good sir, what would you recommend i use for my USEflags when i emerge php?

I usually like to keep my USE flags specific to each application I install, so Id'e recommend putting this line...

dev-lang/php apache2 -berkdb bzip2 cli crypt doc gdbm iconv ipv6 -kerberos -ldap -ncurses nls pcre readline reflection session spl ssl unicode zlib -adabas -bcmath -birdstep -calendar -cdb -cgi -cjk -concurrentmodphp -ctype curl curlwrappers -db2 -dbase -dbmaker -debug -discard-path -empress -empress-bcs -esoob -exif -fastbuild -fdftk filter -firebird -flatfile -force-cgi-redirect -frontbase ftp gd gd-external -gmp -hash -imap -inifile -interbase -iodbc -java-external -json -ldap-sasl -libedit -mcve -mhash -msql -mssql mysql mysqli -oci8 -oci8-instant-client -odbc -pcntl pdo pdo-external -pic -posix -postgres -qdbm -recode -sapdb -sharedext -sharedmem simplexml -snmp -soap -sockets -solid -spell sqlite -suhosin -sybase -sybase-ct -sysvipc -threads -tidy -tokenizer truetype -wddx xml xmlreader xmlrpc xmlwriter -xpm -xsl -yaz -zip -zip-external

In your /etc/portage/package.use file. If the file does not exist, create it as root. Of course you could also just add all these flags to your /etc/make.conf but that meens any other applications that support these flags will pull in deps as well. After a few years of using Gentoo Ive come to the opinion that the global /etc/make.conf file approuch just makes things harder to maintain.

Anyway, once youv'e added this line to /etc/portage/package.use or the USE flags to your global /etc/make.conf file, run...

sudo emerge -pv dev-lang/php

again. This will now list all the deps that are going to be pulled in. You may also want to adjust flags for some of those deps. Just follow the same process over and over until it all looks good, then run emerge witrhout the -pv switch.

Be sure to come back again if your stuck.

PS: These aren't my actual flags (I'm not using Gentoo anymore on my servers), but should be a pretty good default. Anyway, if in the future you decide you need to enable something else, simply enable it, then run...

sudo emerge -pvuN dev-lang/php

to see whats going to happen. (u = update, N = new USE)

wow that's a lot thorpe. i never knew you had experience with gentoo! so here's what's going on:

package.use

media-video/mplayer aac win32codecs cpudetection cdparanoia dvd dvdread real aalib nvidia
#media-sound/audacious mp3 alsa
net-www/mplayerplug-in gtk divx gmedia real quicktime wmp
#www-client/mozilla-firefox
app-office/abiword -gnome
app-office/openoffice -gnome -kde -eds firefox

dev-lang/php apache2 -berkdb bzip2 cli crypt doc gdbm iconv ipv6 -kerberos -ldap -ncurses nls pcre readline reflection session spl ssl unicode zlib -adabas -bcmath -birdstep -calendar -cdb -cgi -cjk -concurrentmodphp -ctype curl curlwrappers -db2 -dbase -dbmaker -debug -discard-path -empress -empress-bcs -esoob -exif -fastbuild -fdftk filter -firebird -flatfile -force-cgi-redirect -frontbase ftp gd gd-external -gmp -hash -imap -inifile -interbase -iodbc -java-external -json -ldap-sasl -libedit -mcve -mhash -msql -mssql mysql mysqli -oci8 -oci8-instant-client -odbc -pcntl pdo pdo-external -pic -posix -postgres -qdbm -recode -sapdb -sharedext -sharedmem simplexml -snmp -soap -sockets -solid -spell sqlite -suhosin -sybase -sybase-ct -sysvipc -threads -tidy -tokenizer truetype -wddx xml xmlreader xmlrpc xmlwriter -xpm -xsl -yaz -zip -zip-external

dev-java/blackdown-java browserplugin nsplugin
dev-util/subversion -nowebdav
x11-libs/cairo glitz

x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm gnome svg
x11-wm/compiz gnome svg
gnome-base/control-center -gstreamer

net-im/gaim avahi audiofile bonjour cjk dbus eds gadu gnutls meanwhile mono nls perl silc spell startup-notification tcl tk xscreensaver custom-flags ssl msn perl minimal

net-im/gaim -cjk gnutls nls perl silc spell tcl tk
media-gfx/gimp jpeg mmx png wmf aalib
media-gfx/inkscape spell
sys-apps/hal acpi pcmcia dmi
media-plugins/audacious-plugins mp3 alsa

make.conf

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -mtune=athlon-xp -march=athlon-xp -finline-functions -falign-jumps=16 -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=64 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fomit-frame-pointer -fforce-addr -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
USE="alsa mp3 dts dvd dvdread udev xv jpeg jpg png cdr firefox bzip2 java mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssl doc 3dnow 3dnowext -eds unicode doc gnutls ldap nls nptl nptlonly -real readline ipv6 kerberos X xorg -kde gtk -qt -arts -cups alsa oss -dlloader apache2"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
PORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=/mnt/distfiles
PKGDIR=/mnt/packages
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
#PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes"
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=15
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="ccache distlocks distclean sandbox throne userpriv usersandbox candy"
CCACHE_SIZE="80M"
#FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/axel -a -o /\${DISTDIR}/\${FILE} \${URI}"
#RESUMECOMMAND="/usr/bin/axel -a -o /\${DISTDIR}/\${FILE} \${URI}"
LINGUAS="en"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common"
#LDFLAGS="-W1,-O1 -W1,--enable-new-dtags -W1,--sort-common -s -W1,--as-needed -WL,-zdynsort"
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon ati vesa"

kumi@throne ~ $ sudo emerge -pv dev-lang/php                                                                                    -static" 23,869 kB 
These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/DBD-mysql-4.00.5  120 kB 
Calculating dependencies                         ... done!              2 cli crypt curl curlwrappers doc filter ftp gd gd-exte[ebuild  NS   ] sys-devel/automake-1.10  873 kB eflection session simplexml spl sqlite ssl truetype unicode xml xmlreader xmlrp[ebuild  N    ] perl-core/Storable-2.16  170 kB  -cjk -concurrentmodphp -ctype -db2 -dbase -dbmaker -debug -discard-path -empre[ebuild  N    ] perl-core/Sys-Syslog-0.18  51 kB ce-cgi-redirect -frontbase -gmp -hash -imap -inifile -interbase -iodbc -java-e[ebuild  N    ] dev-db/mysql-init-scripts-1.2  0 kB l -ncurses -oci8 -oci8-instant-client -odbc -pcntl -pic -posix -postgres -q[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/Net-Daemon-0.43  28 kB spell -suhosin -sybase -sybase-ct -sysvipc -threads -tidy -tokenizer -wddx -xpm[ebuild  N    ] media-libs/t1lib-5.0.2  USE="X doc" 1,658 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] dev-db/sqlite-2.8.16-r4  USE="doc nls -tcl" 959 kB oci8-instant-client -odbc -postgres -sqlite" 52 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] dev-db/sqlite-3.3.17  USE="doc -debug -nothreadsafe -soundex -tcl" 2,062 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] app-doc/php-docs-20050822  2,678 kB 
[ebuild     U ] virtual/perl-Storable-2.16 [2.15] 0 kB  block), Size of downloads: 39,971 kB
[ebuild  N    ] virtual/perl-Sys-Syslog-0.18  0 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/PlRPC-0.2020-r1  18 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/DBI-1.58  479 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] dev-db/mysql-5.0.44  USE="berkdb perl ssl -big-tables -cluster -debug -embedded -extraengine -latin1 -max-idx-128 -minimal (-selinux) -static" 23,869 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] virtual/mysql-5.0  0 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/DBD-mysql-4.00.5  120 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] dev-lang/php-5.2.4_pre200708051230-r2  USE="apache2 bzip2 cli crypt curl curlwrappers doc filter ftp gd gd-external gdbm iconv ipv6 mysql mysqli nls pcre pdo pdo-external readline reflection session simplexml spl sqlite ssl truetype unicode xml xmlreader xmlrpc xmlwriter zlib -adabas -bcmath -berkdb -birdstep -calendar -cdb -cgi -cjk -concurrentmodphp -ctype -db2 -dbase -dbmaker -debug -discard-path -empress -empress-bcs -esoob -exif -fastbuild -fdftk -firebird -flatfile -force-cgi-redirect -frontbase -gmp -hash -imap -inifile -interbase -iodbc -java-external -json -kerberos -ldap -ldap-sasl -libedit -mcve -mhash -msql -mssql -ncurses -oci8 -oci8-instant-client -odbc -pcntl -pic -posix -postgres -qdbm -recode -sapdb -sharedext -sharedmem -snmp -soap -sockets -solid -spell -suhosin -sybase -sybase-ct -sysvipc -threads -tidy -tokenizer -wddx -xpm -xsl -yaz -zip -zip-external" 6,959 kB 
[ebuild  N    ] dev-php5/pecl-pdo-1.0.3  USE="-mssql -mysql -oci8 -oci8-instant-client -odbc -postgres -sqlite" 52 kB 
[blocks B     ] dev-php5/pecl-pdo (is blocking dev-lang/php-5.2.4_pre200708051230-r2)

Total: 18 packages (1 upgrade, 16 new, 1 in new slot, 1 block), Size of downloads: 39,971 kB

so i've got something 'blocking' a certain file that will emerge? is that what that last line says? what does that mean and how do i fix it? is it important?

p.s. you don't run gentoo anymore? what do you use now, and why?

Firstly. If your not going to use pdo, its probably easiest to just remove it from your flags. Just place a - in front of it and pdo-external.

If you do want to use it, your also going to need to set some flags for it. Place this...

dev-php5/pecl-pdo -mssql mysql -oci8 -oci8-instant-client -odbc -postgres sqlite

in your /etc/portage/package.use.

As for why its blocking, I'm not 100% sure. Try removng (place - in front of) the pdo-external flag.

p.s. you don't run gentoo anymore? what do you use now, and why?

I still run Gentoo on several machines, but about 6 months ago I moved house and got stuck with a dialup connection. it just made maintainance of gentoo alot harder. I use debian on my servers now, mostly because I have a VPS with only limited memory and compiling everything from source isn't really an option.

Gentoo will always be my favourite distro though. I love it.

hmm. well check this out:

make.conf

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -mtune=athlon-xp -march=athlon-xp -finline-functions -falign-jumps=16 -falign-loops=16 -falign-functions=64 -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fomit-frame-pointer -fforce-addr -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
USE="alsa mp3 dts dvd dvdread udev xv jpeg jpg png cdr firefox bzip2 java mmx mmxext sse sse2 ssl doc 3dnow 3dnowext -eds unicode doc gnutls ldap nls nptl nptlonly -real readline ipv6 kerberos X xorg -kde gtk -qt -arts -cups alsa oss -dlloader apache2"
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/var/tmp
PORTDIR=/usr/portage
DISTDIR=/mnt/distfiles
PKGDIR=/mnt/packages
PORT_LOGDIR=/var/log/portage
PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/usr/local/portage
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
#PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes"
RSYNC_RETRIES="3"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=180
MAKEOPTS="-j3"
PORTAGE_NICENESS=15
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
FEATURES="ccache distlocks distclean sandbox throne userpriv usersandbox candy"
CCACHE_SIZE="80M"
#FETCHCOMMAND="/usr/bin/axel -a -o /\${DISTDIR}/\${FILE} \${URI}"
#RESUMECOMMAND="/usr/bin/axel -a -o /\${DISTDIR}/\${FILE} \${URI}"
LINGUAS="en"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common"
#LDFLAGS="-W1,-O1 -W1,--enable-new-dtags -W1,--sort-common -s -W1,--as-needed -WL,-zdynsort"
VIDEO_CARDS="radeon ati vesa"

package.use

media-video/mplayer aac win32codecs cpudetection cdparanoia dvd dvdread real aalib nvidia
#media-sound/audacious mp3 alsa
net-www/mplayerplug-in gtk divx gmedia real quicktime wmp
#www-client/mozilla-firefox
app-office/abiword -gnome
app-office/openoffice -gnome -kde -eds firefox

dev-java/blackdown-java browserplugin nsplugin
dev-util/subversion -nowebdav
x11-libs/cairo glitz

x11-wm/compiz-quinnstorm gnome svg
x11-wm/compiz gnome svg
gnome-base/control-center -gstreamer

net-im/gaim avahi audiofile bonjour cjk dbus eds gadu gnutls meanwhile mono nls perl silc spell startup-notification tcl tk xscreensaver custom-flags ssl msn perl minimal

net-im/gaim -cjk gnutls nls perl silc spell tcl tk
media-gfx/gimp jpeg mmx png wmf aalib
media-gfx/inkscape spell
sys-apps/hal acpi pcmcia dmi
media-plugins/audacious-plugins mp3 alsa

kumi@throne ~ $ sudo emerge dev-lang/php
Calculating dependencies         ... done!                            

!!! Error: the dev-php5/pecl-pdo package conflicts with another package;
!!!        the two packages cannot be installed on the same system together.
!!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

is this saying that there is a conflict between make.conf and package.use?

pdo is database interface that lets you interact with many different databases through the one consistant api. I'm pretty sure pdo-external installs pdo via pecl, where if you just use the pdo flag it will install the actual extension that is part of php5.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.