ociexecute($room);

$roomMatch = ociresult($room, "ROOM");

if ( $roomMatch > 0 )  # found existing room name
{
  $roomNum = ociresult($room,"ROOM_NUM");
}

echo "<br>room_num of match: " . $roomNum; 
?>

I had entered data into the field objects. They SHOULD have been set. I'm trying to figure out why they are not.

What variable is undefined? Most likely, $roomMatch is not greater than zero when you run it so $roomNum doesn't get initialized. Make sure your query is correct. I would suggest using or die(ocierror()); after all your oci stuff so that it tells you if there is an error, but I think it is just your query.

Ginger, $connect is defined b/c I use this variable in other queries on the page like INSERTs and those values are successfully entered into the db.

lemmin, the error:

[Fri Aug 24 15:38:23 2007] [error] PHP Notice:  Undefined variable:  roomNum in (omitted directory structure)\\addcallconfirm.php

on line 224

Thanks for continued help!

What you say makes great sense. Let me explain what I'm trying to do. I'm checking the db for a match to $_SESSION['room']. If there is a match, I want to get the room_num of that room. So, I'd like to keep the > 0 operation.

I know how to do this in mySQL but am learning SQL and am uncertain.

Well i would guess, the problem is that you echo roomNum regardless of wether or not there was a match. Try:

{
echo "<br>room_num of match: " . $roomNum; 
}else{
echo "No matching room found";
}

Thanks for the replies!

Ginger, there IS a match there and I'm testing it. I have an else part of the script commented out, which will be used in production.

lemmin, I am using this same count and ociresult() in another page when matching user/pass to the db. So, I know it works.  ???

lemmin, I have used ocirowcount:

$roomMatch = ocirowcount($room);

When I print $roomMatch I correctly get 1. My problem is that inside the if statement, I am trying to then use values in that one record:

But, $roomNum is empty even though there is a value in the db.

lemmin, I have used ocirowcount:

When I print $roomMatch I correctly get 1. My problem is that inside the if statement, I am trying to then use values in that one record:

But, $roomNum is empty even though there is a value in the db.

[qoute]

$roomMatch = ociresult($room, "ROOM");

{

}

Your most recent statement doesn't match what you first posted. You are not using "$roomMatch = ocirowcount($room);," or at least, you said you aren't. If you are now, it would be helpful if you would post your newest code so that people can see what needs to be changed.

Assuming you are still using that code, You can use my first post as the answer, still, because you can't use that comparison. change

to:

You will then be making a proper comparison and the ociresult won't be in $roomMatch.

I would just turn error reporting down a little. Set it to E_ERROR and problem solved. Lots of scripts will give a warning like this. This snippet would return an undefined variable warning.

<?php

if(isset($somevar))
{
    echo 'lets get busy';
}

?>

It is because the variable has not been explicitly defined. Is this the best solution.... probably not, but it is just a warning and should not keep the script from running.

Nate

Your most recent statement doesn't match what you first posted. You are not using "$roomMatch = ocirowcount($room);," or at least, you said you aren't. If you are now, it would be helpful if you would post your newest code so that people can see what needs to be changed.

What I meant was that I have tried both methods and both let me count the matches. My problem is that after that, I would like to get the data contained in one of the fields (room_num) and that is not happening with either method.

I would just turn error reporting down a little. Set it to E_ERROR and problem solved. Lots of scripts will give a warning like this. This snippet would return an undefined variable warning.

<?php

if(isset($somevar))
{
    echo 'lets get busy';
}

?>

It is because the variable has not been explicitly defined. Is this the best solution.... probably not, but it is just a warning and should not keep the script from running.

Nate

Uhm, not really, that's the part of the reason to use isset(). It helps prevent those warnings. This code would not generate any errors.

<?php

if(isset($somevar))
{
    echo 'lets get busy';
}

?>

Nate

Uhm, not really, that's the part of the reason to use isset(). It helps prevent those warnings. This code would not generate any errors.

Thanks Jesi,

Now that you mention it, thats why I got in the habit of using isset() in the first place. What I *meant* to type was

<?php
if($somevar)
{
    echo 'lets get busy';
}
?>

lol, lose the bad habits and look like a dummy when trying to help someone :)

Thanks,

Nate

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.