External links opening up in a new window

Xurion

Hi all,

Lets assume I have domain.com, and the site hosted there has many links that either link to pages within itself, or pages on different domains. Is there a way for all external links to open up in a new window, and have all local links open up in the same window? What I am looking for is a global way to set this rather than specifying every external link with a target="_blank" attribute manually.

Thanks in advance.

Xur~

opening new windows is considered a docuemnt effect and as such should be controlled by javascript.

http://www.quirksmode.org/js/events_advanced.html gives details on how to add eventhandlers to elements - use that to add the onclick and onkeypres eventhandlers and make tehm open a newwindow - note microsofts implementation means the 'this' object reference is useless - which is pretty bloody useless in itself if you ask me (another 'feather' in the MS cap).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.