GNU Lesser General Public License?

Liquid Fire

Maybe it is just that it is late or what not but i just don't understand this license.  I am looking to use php mailer as my email class in my web API.  Now this mailer class uses this license.  I want to release my API under the MIT license so that people can use it for free or commercial product.  I am also going to use this API to develop my web application which i plan on selling for a small fee.  Will this license let me do what i want to here?  I basically want to know if i can use this class in a commercial product without any trouble.

GPL = If you change it or use it and distribute it, you have to give back your code as GPL.

LGPL = Closer to less restrictive licenses like BSD. You can link to the code for non-GPL code.

BSD/MIT = The code is basicly free game.

That's at least my understanding of it.

You should be fine with referencing that class with software under any license. Just provide source code if you have to make changes to the class itself.

• 2 weeks later...

well from what i read is:

"If there are no modifications to the GPL-licensed program, and it is not embedded within a proprietary program, the terms of the GPL simply don't apply to the licensee's software."

I want to create a wrapper class the uses phpmailer and this wrapper class is going to be used throughout the program.  I don't want to change the phpmailer class but the class is going to be embedded in my software(i take embedded and included in my sotware) so doesn't that mean i would have to release my software as GPL?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.