[SOLVED] Edit entry and overwrite existing string

FridayRain

I've accomplished half of what I want to do. I have an 'edit' link on blog entries and writing pieces for my upcoming site, and clicking it brings up the piece within a form so I can make changes. Now the only trouble is processing the form and having PHP and MySQL make the changes. I'm having trouble figuring out exactly how to replace or overwrite an entire string.

I came across the Locate command, but I was under the impression it was useful to search for text to replace, not necessarily (or efficient) for replacing an entire string. Also, does the fopen command work with MySQL queries?

As previously suggested u can replace the whole text with the UPDATE command:

if(isset($_POST['editfield'])){
     $id = $_SESSION['id']; //just assuming
     $edit = $_POST['editfield'];
     $results = mysql_query("UPDATE table SET article='$edit' WHERE id='$id'") or die(mysql_error());
}

What's the syntax for multiple strings possibly being replaced? I also have a title field available for edit. This is about as close as I've come:

<?php

$query = mysql_query("UPDATE $table SET title='$title' text='$edittext' WHERE id='$id'") or die(mysql_error());

?>

I can't get the NOW() function to work. Each time I try, the entry gets all 0s for the datetime.

I Googled and apparently it's not a function of PHP, but only of MySQL. so I tried this:

$query = mysql_query("INSERT INTO $table(id, title, text, date, year) VALUES ('$id', '$title', '$text', 'NOW()', '$year')") or die (mysql_error());

And still all 0s.

• 2 weeks later...

Er, one more thing. Using the DATETIME function, I'm converting the time information into a readable format to show each blog entry's time of posting. But the format is 00:00, so if the hour is one digit, the 0 appears in front of it. How can I remove the 0 from the resulting string?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.