login script

werny

this is from a tutorial I read, I am trying to tweak some of the settings to suit my needs, out of this register script I am trying to take out the whole send an email, with a random number, and I am trying to add in another value, here the script

<?php
require_once('db.php');
include('functions.php');
include('settings.php');

if (array_key_exists('_submit_check', $_POST))
{
	if ( $_POST['username'] != '' && $_POST['password'] != '' && $_POST['password'] == $_POST['password_confirmed'] && $_POST['email'] != '' && valid_email ( $_POST['email'] ) == TRUE )
	{
		if ( ! checkUnique('Username', $_POST['username']) )
		{
			$error = 'Username already taken. Please try again!';
		}
		elseif ( ! checkUnique('Email', $_POST['email']) )
		{
			$error = 'The email you used is associated with another user. Please try again or use the "forgot password" feature!';
		}
		else {		
			$query = mysql_query("INSERT INTO users (`Username` , `Password`, `Email`, `Random_key`) VALUES ('".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['username'])."', '".mysql_real_escape_string(md5($_POST['password']))."', '".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['email'])."', '".random_string('alnum', 32)."')") or die(mysql_error());

$getUser = mysql_query("SELECT ID, Username, Email, Random_key FROM users WHERE Username = '".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['username'])."'") or die(mysql_error());

if(mysql_num_rows($getUser)==1)
			{			
				$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($getUser);
				$headers = 	'From: ' . $site_email . "\r\n" .
	    					'Reply-To: ' . $site_email . "\r\n" .
	    					'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();
				$subject = "Activation email from " . $domain_name;
				$message = "Dear ".$row['Username'].", this is your activation link to join our website. In order to confirm your membership please click on the following link: ".$url."confirm.php?ID=".$row['ID']."&key=".$row['Random_key']." Thank you for joining";
				if ( mail($row['Email'], $subject, $message, $headers ) )
				{
					$msg = 'Account created. Please login to the email you provided during registration and confirm your membership.';
				}
				else {
					$error = 'I created the account but failed sending the validation email out.';
				}
			}
			else {
				$error = 'You just made possible the old guy (the impossible). Please inform my boss in order to give you the price for this.';
			}
		}							
	}
	else {		
		$error = 'There was an error in your data. Please make sure you filled in all the required data, you provided a valid email address and that the password fields match one another';	
	}
}
?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title>register</title>
<link href="css/styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

</head>

<body>
<div id="log">
<?php	if ( isset ( $error ) )	{ echo '			<p class="error">' . $error . '</p>' . "\n";	}	?>
<?php	if ( isset ( $msg ) )	{ echo '			<p class="msg">' . $msg . '</p>' . "\n";	} else {//if we have a mesage we don't need this form again.?>
</div>

<div id="container" style="text-align:center">
<form action="<?=$_SERVER['PHP_SELF']?>" method="post">

<input type="hidden" name="_submit_check" value="1"/> 

<table align="center" width="99%">

<tr>
			<td><div align="left">Username</div></td>
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td><div align="left"><input class="input" type="text" id="username" name="username" size="32" value="<?php if(isset($_POST['username'])){echo $_POST['username'];}?>" /></div></td>				
		</tr>
		<tr>

<td><div align="left">Password</div></td>
		</tr>
		<tr>				
			<td><div align="left"><input class="input" type="password" id="password" name="password" size="32" value="" /></div></td>				
		</tr>
		<tr>

<td><div align="left">Re-Password</div></td>
		</tr>
		<tr>				
			<td><div align="left"><input class="input" type="password" id="password_confirmed" name="password_confirmed" size="32" value="" /></div></td>				
		</tr>
		<tr>
			<td><div align="left">Email</div></td>
		</tr>
		<tr>			
			<td><div align="left"><input class="input" type="text" id="email" name="email" size="32" value="<?php if(isset($_POST['email'])){echo $_POST['email'];}?>" /></div></td>

</tr>

<tr>
			<td>
			<input type="image" name="register" value="register"  class="submit-btn" src="images/btn.gif" alt="submit" title="submit" />
			<br class="clear" />
			</td>
		</tr>

</table>
</form>
</div>
<? } ?>
</body>

</html>

basically I am terrible about how to take out pieces of it, such as switching the random key to inserting into a field called nation_name, and taking out the whole send an email with random key

Well, obviously this chunk of code is what sends the email:

<?php

$headers = 	'From: ' . $site_email . "\r\n" .
	    					'Reply-To: ' . $site_email . "\r\n" .
	    					'X-Mailer: PHP/' . phpversion();
				$subject = "Activation email from " . $domain_name;
				$message = "Dear ".$row['Username'].", this is your activation link to join our website. In order to confirm your membership please click on the following link: ".$url."confirm.php?ID=".$row['ID']."&key=".$row['Random_key']." Thank you for joining";
				if ( mail($row['Email'], $subject, $message, $headers ) )
				{
					$msg = 'Account created. Please login to the email you provided during registration and confirm your membership.';
				}
				else {
					$error = 'I created the account but failed sending the validation email out.';
				}

?>

And this is the query inserting info into the DB.

<?php

$query = mysql_query("INSERT INTO users (`Username` , `Password`, `Email`, `Random_key`) VALUES ('".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['username'])."', '".mysql_real_escape_string(md5($_POST['password']))."', '".mysql_real_escape_string($_POST['email'])."', '".random_string('alnum', 32)."')") or die(mysql_error());

?>

I'll show you dirty code.

$let = "them be";

function backOff($user){
global $let;
echo "Let " . $let . " " . $user;
}

$peer = "TheFilmGod";
backOff($peer);

Atleast they're trying to tweak it, don't tell them they're not learning. Most people started off on tutorials and got where they are now.

$let = "them be";

function backOff($user){
global $let;
}

$peer = "TheFilmGod";
backOff($peer);

Atleast they're trying to tweak it, don't tell them they're not learning. Most people started off on tutorials and got where they are now.

thanks man ill try that out, and yeah saying there is no classes or any formal way to learn, I have to learn from tutorials and such

$let = "them be";

function backOff($user){
global $let;
}

$peer = "TheFilmGod";
backOff($peer);

Sure copying and pasting is learning? Is it really learning? Grab a good book and digest the fundamentals of php. If you choose to be cheap, you'll get cheap code right back. Of course you can argue, but copying and pasting is not "learning?"

$let = "them be";

function backOff($user){
global $let;
}

$peer = "TheFilmGod";
backOff($peer);

Very true, I did, and though I know I still have a lot of learning to do, at least I can code my own game now

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.