There's some nasty people out there

Just reading through some threads and am amazed at how nasty some posters can be especially to people who are just asking for advice. After all I thought that's what this forum is all about ... helping others. I realise that sometimes people ask what seem to be stupid questions, but there's no need for blatant hostility. We all have to go through the learning curve. I guess all forums are the same ... most members are there for the right reason and there are always the bad few to muddy up the water and give the newbies grief. Pity I'm a newbie.  :-[

Yves the problem is a lot of us new members will go elsewhere if we get flamed, found this site after having an altercation at another site with one of their "gurus" who simply put answers as links to the php manual quite often not even bothering to read what the actual question was.  When I pointed out to him this wasn't overly helpful to us new folk, believe it not we do check the manual but often don't know what we are looking for, it was on for young and old.

I help out at an IPB support forum, and our policy is there are no stupid questions, stupid is not asking if you don't know something.

Thus far really impressed with this site :)

Could I ask for an intros forum? Would help newbies like myself to meet and grate the crew here.

i dont think an entire forum is warranted, although there's a topic here that's exactly for introductions and getting to know everyone: http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,112560.0.html

i do sort of agree with the whole "no such thing as a stupid question" type thing, but the issues arise where posts are put in the wrong place because people can't be bothered to read the board descriptions (or worse, on purpose to try and get attention to it), or just when people ask things expecting everyone to do their work without at least trying to do a little research first. a little googling/trial and error/playing around never hurt anyone - though unfortunately some people are too lazy for that.

anyhow - welcome to the boards and good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

My definition of a stupid question is a question that is asked that is covered in a FAQ/sticky.

I think the days when people could write off not reading FAQs due to it being "some new thing," are long over.  FAQs in forums have been commonplace for a very long time now, and there really is no excuse for not reading them before you ask your question, that would not warrant you receiving negative feedback.

That is not to say that it's okay to flat-out call someone an idiot.  I work at a fast food place.  People ask me stupid questions all the time.  Like, how much something is, when there is a 10 foot menu in front of their face.  But I don't call them an idiot (at least, not where they can hear me). It's not the "professional" thing to do. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.