Mysql and its Powers/Limitations

TheFilmGod

I have this fear that the website I'm making will somehow magically attract a great deal of traffic. If this is the case, and I create everything in php and mysql - will there be performance issues?

I mean, if this occurs, IF, (it won't  :( )

What do you guys say? I heard oracle is a lot more powerful, but I don't want to take that road...

I think the points are reversed here. You're asking if MySQL can handle something big and that Oracle might be better suited. We're saying it's not the application itself, but what's behind the application. If you have a terrible box, whatever database you put on it is going to have issues. I think your reply to me was on track: "What type of hardware?" I don't know that answer. Check MySQL's website for recommendations and contact them if need be. Keep in mind that saying "magically attract a great deal of traffic" is vague and not receptive to good answers (or any at all).

Yes I understand that poorly optimized queries or php code can screw up things. But let us say they are well done, but there IS a lot of traffic, what happends? Is mysql worth the learning and work? Or should I look at oracle?

Another thing, can mysql handle over 1 billion rows? (Innodb engine, of course  ;D ), what will happen? Will the mysql crash?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.