Total PHP Forum Migration or wipe

paraflexx

Well,

I took on a PHP site a few years ago.  I did not setup the original site but have been trying to maintain it.  Over and over the site is hacked once a month and I know why.  I need to completely upgrade the site to the latest PHP and redo everything.  All i want to have is the current forum users and posts.  How would i go about such a thing?  I have looked for months and cannot find answers.  I cant loose the forum data. 

please any help would be great.

-desperate

:-)

Are you using some prebuilt forum software, if you are then you can probably guarantee that it's already been done and there's a process for it.  If not then it's probably a little more difficult, but not beyond all hope.

Are you hoping to put a new forum system in, or just use the old one after a re-design?

Regards

Huggie

The version of PHP is not why the site is getting "hacked". It's probably due to poor coding. If you don't know enough to fix it, you'll need to do lots of research on things like SQL injection, or hire someone to do it for you. Redoing everything will take more time than fixing existing bugs, and probably create new bugs.

Are you using some prebuilt forum software, if you are then you can probably guarantee that it's already been done and there's a process for it.  If not then it's probably a little more difficult, but not beyond all hope.

Are you hoping to put a new forum system in, or just use the old one after a re-design?

Regards

Huggie

Well its site is php ver 4.  and the person who installed the stie didn not implement any type of security really.  because of how the installed the site i cant even upgrade. 

The forums are (phpbb 2.2 or something) I wouldnt mind upgrading to a new forum system.  I just wanted to keep the old forum posts. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.